Module 4: Pregnancy care in adolescents
with thanks to Virginia Camacho and Viviana Mangiaterra
September 23, 2011 - Geneva
Chandra-Mouli V. Pregnancy care in adolescents. Paper presented at: Training Course in Sexual and Reproductive Health Research; 2011 Sep 23; Geneva. Available from: http://www.gfmer.ch/SRH-Course-2011/adolescent-health/Pregnancy-care-adolescents-Chandra-Mouli-2011.htm
Topics covered in the module
- Use of maternal health care by adolescents.
- Ensuring that pregnant adolescents get the health care they need.
- Ensuring that pregnant adolescents get the social support they need.
- In your country are some groups of pregnant adolescents/all pregnant adolescents able to obtain antenatal and delivery care, as adult women ? Explain your answer.
- In slides 10 and 12 you will see that we have pointed to some determinants of maternal mortality in adolescents. List the five main determinants of maternal mortality among adolescents in your country and write a brief story about an adolescent in your country, like the story about Priya (see below).
- Read the document on the "Birth preparedness and complications readiness matrix that relates to postpartum and newborn care". In relation to each column, list 1-2 key considerations in relation to adolescents.
The story of Priya
Priya is 19 years old.
She lives in a small town in Central India with her husband and his family.
Priya is pregnant.
She is both happy and a little afraid because of this.
She wants to go to the local clinic for an antenatal check up, just like her elder brother's wife had done when she was pregnant.
Her mother-in-law does not believe this is necessary. She says that she had 8 children, all delivered at home, without any problems.
Priya's husband agrees.
- Inter Agency Gender Working Group & WHO. A summary of the 'So What ?' report: A look at whether integrating a gender focus into programmes makes a difference to outcomes. Population Reference Bureau; 2005.
- JHPIEGO/MNH Program. Birth prepardness and complication readiness: a matrix of shared responsibility. JHPIEGO; 2001.
- Reynolds HW, Wong EL, Tucker H. Adolescents’ use of maternal and child health services in developing countries. Int Fam Plan Perspect. 2006 Mar;32(1):6-16. Available from: http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/journals/3200606.html
- WHO. Adolescent pregnancy - Unmet needs and undone deeds. A review of the literature and programmes. Geneva: WHO; 2007.
- WHO. Pregnant adolescents: delivering on global promises of hope. Geneva: WHO; 2006.