Nursing School, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Brazil
Mariana Felisbino-Mendes, Graduated in Nursing, MsC in Health and Nursing, PhD in Nursing
Professor, Department of Maternal and Child Nursing and Public Health, Nursing School, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Brazil
Mariana is a currently professor of nursing in the Department of Maternal and Child Nursing and Public Health at the Federal University of Minas Gerais (UFMG), Brazil. Her main work at this institution is focused on women’s health and she acts at the primary health care level, training and teaching undergraduate nursing students to attend to women who seek antenatal care, Pap smear testing, and family planning services. She also participates as a tutor in the primary health care training of midwives in this institution. She also teaches the required course on women´s health along with other professors and she has been offering an elective nursing course on reproductive health as a medium for students to hold in-depth discussions on family planning and sexual reproductive rights. Her research interests include non-communicable chronic diseases, obesity, survey data, with a more recent and concentrated focus on women's health and reproductive health. She has been conducting research at NIEPE (Interdisciplinary Studies and Research in Epidemiology group) of Nursing School/UFMG and the collaborating center of VIGITEL for the past 7 years.
Publications indexed in PubMed
- Felisbino-Mendes MS, Jansen AK, Gomes CS, Velásquez-Meléndez G. [Cardiovascular risk factor assessment in a rural Brazilian population]. Cad Saude Publica. 2014 Jun;30(6):1183-94.
- Felisbino-Mendes MS, Villamor E, Velasquez-Melendez G. Association of maternal and child nutritional status in Brazil: a population based cross-sectional study. PLoS ONE. 2014;9(1):e87486. http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0087486
- Felisbino-Mendes MS, Matozinhos FP, Miranda JJ, Villamor E, Velasquez-Melendez G. Maternal obesity and fetal deaths: results from the Brazilian cross-sectional Demographic Health Survey, 2006. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2014;14:5. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1471-2393-14-5
- Machado IE, Lana FCF, Felisbino-Mendes MS, Malta DC. Factors associated with alcohol intake and alcohol abuse among women in Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais State, Brazil. Cad Saude Publica. 2013 Jul;29(7):1449-59.
- Bensenor IM, Griep RH, Pinto KA, Faria CP de, Felisbino-Mendes M, Caetano EI, Albuquerque L da S, Schmidt MI. [Routines of organization of clinical tests and interviews in the ELSA-Brasil investigation center]. Rev Saude Publica. 2013 Jun;47 Suppl 2:37-47.
- Pimenta AM, Felisbino-Mendes MS, Velasquez-Melendez G. Clustering and combining pattern of metabolic syndrome components in a rural Brazilian adult population. Sao Paulo Med J. 2013;131(4):213-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/1516-3180.2013.1314326
- Felisbino-Mendes MS, Géa-Horta T, Ribeiro ALP, Kac G, Silqueira SM de F, Velásquez-Meléndez G. Association between metabolic syndrome and parameters of 24-hour blood pressure ambulatory monitoring. Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol. 2011 Aug;55(6):383-8.
- Felisbino-Mendes MS, Campos MD, Lana FCF. [Nutritional assessment in children under 10 in Ferros, Minas Gerais]. Rev Esc Enferm USP. 2010 Jun;44(2):257-65.
- Silva DA, Felisbino-Mendes MS, Pimenta AM, Gazzinelli A, Kac G, Velásquez-Meléndez G. [Metabolic disorders and adiposity in a rural population]. Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol. 2008 Apr;52(3):489-98.
- Escola de Enfermagem - UFMG
- UFMG - Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais
- Training students in a primary health care facility in Belo Horizonte, Brazil - Mariana Felisbino-Mendes - GFMER picture of the week by Lynn Gertiser