Obstetric fistula - Presentations
FMH Specialist in Operative Urology
Visiting Associate Professor, Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Women's Health of Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University, New-York
Associate Professor of Urology, Faculté des Sciences de la Santé, Cotonou, Benin
Codirector of the Executive Committee of the GFMER
GFMER Director of "Obstetric Fistula Program"
Member of Fistula Committee of FIGO (Fédération Internationale de Gynécologie et d'Obstétrique)
Member of OFWG (International Obstetric Fistula Working Group)
Bureau Member of AFOA (Association des Fistules Obstétricales d’Afrique)
Charles-Henry Rochat is a urologist surgeon sharing his activities between new technologies as robotic surgery and humanitarian medicine. Pioneer in laparoscopic surgery and author of the first laparoscopic prostatectomies in Switzerland since March 1999, he was then led to the creation of the Multi Disciplinary Center of Laparoscopic Robotic Surgery opened in 2003 at the Clinic Generale Beaulieu in Geneva. He has a wide experience in robotic prostatectomy and he is co-coordinator of the European multicenter study on the results of this technique. He is the author of articles and book chapters in this area.
His commitment to the humanitarian field has been marked by numerous missions in war surgery before he choosed an education program more focused on continuity. Since 1993 he developed a treatment, training and prevention program, in the field of obstetric fistula. This model is now recognized internationally.
In Benin, residents of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Women's Health work with Dr Charles-Henry Rochat, a Swiss urologist of the Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research at St Jean de Dieu Hospital in Tanguieta Benin. Dr Rochat began working in Benin in 1993 and has established an obstetric fistula program that serves women from Benin, Togo, Ivory Coast, Burkina Faso, and other neighboring countries. Worldwide, at least two million women and girls live with obstetric fistulae and 50,000 to 100,000 develop one yearly. Often a direct result of obstructed labor, obstetric fistulae are now rare in countries where women are educated and emergency obstetric care is accessible. Therefore, traveling to Benin offers a rare and unique experience. Residents and fellows will operate with a world-renowned surgeon, Dr Rochat, and his team and learn the basic surgical techniques of obstetric fistulae repair.
In recognition of his humanitarian activities the Sovereign Military Order of Malta awarded him of the Cross of Commander pro Merito Melitensi.
- Characteristics of women with obstetric fistula in the rural hospitals in West Pokot, Kenya - H. Mabeya
- Classification of VVV - K. Waaldijk
- Crusade to eliminate obstetrical fistula in Pakistan (in Urdu language) - F.H. Rai
- Immediate management of the obstetric fistula - K. Waaldijk
- Obstetric fistula - C.-H. Rochat. Training in Reproductive Health Research - Geneva 2008
- Obstetric fistula - C.-H. Rochat. Training Course in Sexual and Reproductive Health Research 2010
- Obstetric fistula - C.-H. Rochat. Training Course in Sexual and Reproductive Health Research 2014
- Obstetric fistula (PDF) - C.-H. Rochat. Training Course in Sexual and Reproductive Health Research 2011
- Obstetric fistula (presentation with audio) - C.-H. Rochat. Training Course in Sexual and Reproductive Health Research 2011
- Obstetric fistula research - Y. Wettstein
- Obstetric fistula. The model of Tanguieta - C.-H. Rochat. CNGOF, Paris, December 2007
- Obstetric fistula: Treatment, training and prevention model - Charles-Henry Rochat - YouTube
- Obstetrical vaginal fistula: surgical approach - C.-H. Rochat. Postgraduate Training in Research Methodology and Reproductive Health, Geneva, March 2004
- Obstetrical vaginal fistula: Surgical approach - C.-H. Rochat, R. Darate. Training in Research in Reproductive Health, Geneva, March 2005
- Obstetrical vaginal fistula: Surgical approach - C.-H. Rochat. Swiss Society of Urology, August 2003
- Practical aspects of obstetric fistula unit - T. Irianta
- Prevalence of obstetric fistula in Kashmir, India - M. Shiekh
- Prevention of obstetric fistula: An overview - M. Maqsud
- Surgery of urogenital trauma in condition of war or precarity - C.-H. Rochat
- The GFMER Data Base - Luc de Bernis
- The management of vesico and/or recto-vaginal fistulae at Bugando Medical Centre, Mwanza, Tanzania, East Africa: A retrospective study - M. Mahendeka
- The obstetric fistula - K. Waaldijk
- Which further development over 15 years personal experience in obstetric fistula surgery - C.-H. Rochat. Grand rounds, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York, October 2012