mHealth for Sexual and Reproductive Health
Open access articles
Director of GFMER Knowledge Management and Sharing
General about mHealth
- Across Health. How mHealth will fundamentally transform the Pharma-Patient-HCP triangle. 2012.
- Grameen Foundation. Mobile technology for community health in Ghana. Washington, DC. 2011.
- Haller D, Sanci L, Sawyer S, Coffey C, Patton G. R U OK 2 TXT 4 RESEARCH?--feasibility of text message communication in primary care research. Aust Fam Physician. 2006 Mar;35(3):175–6.
- Hasvold PE, Wootton R. Use of telephone and SMS reminders to improve attendance at hospital appointments: a systematic review. J Telemed Telecare. 2011;17(7):358–64.
- World Health Organization. ITU and WHO launch mHealth initiative to combat noncommunicable diseases. Joint ITU/WHO news release. 2012.
- World Health Organization. mHealth: New horizons for health through mobile technologies. Based on the findings of the second global survey on eHealth. Global Observatory for eHealth series. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2011.
- World Health Organization. Monitoring and evaluating digital health interventions. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2016.
General about sexual and reproductive health
- World Health Organization. Young people’s health – a challenge for society. Report of a WHO Study Group on Young People and “Health for All by the Year 2000”. WHO Technical Report Series, Number 731. Geneva: World Health Organization, 1986:105-13.
- Corker J. ‘Ligne verte’ toll-free hotline: Using cell phones to increase access to family planning information in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Cases in Public Health Communication & Marketing. 2010;4:23-37.
Maternal and newborn health
- Chib A. The Aceh Besar midwives with mobile phones project: Design and evaluation perspectives using the information and communication technologies for healthcare development model. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication. 2010;15(3):500-25.
- Cole-Ceesay R, Cherian M, Sonko A, Shivute N, Cham M, Davis M, Fatty F, Wieteska S, Baro M, Watson D, Phillips B, Macdonald R, Hayden B, Southall D. Strengthening the emergency healthcare system for mothers and children in The Gambia. Reprod Health. 2010 Aug 18;7:21.
- Cormick G, Kim NA, Rodgers A, Gibbons L, Buekens PM, Belizán JM, Althabe F. Interest of pregnant women in the use of SMS (short message service) text messages for the improvement of perinatal and postnatal care. Reprod Health. 2012 Aug 6;9:9.
- Kaewkungwal J, Singhasivanon P, Khamsiriwatchara A, Sawang S, Meankaew P, Wechsart A. Application of smart phone in "Better Border Healthcare Program": a module for mother and child care. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2010 Nov 3;10:69.
- Noordam AC, Kuepper BM, Stekelenburg J, Milen A. Improvement of maternal health services through the use of mobile phones. Trop Med Int Health. 2011 May;16(5):622-6.
- Velez O. Design and usability testing of an mHealth application for midwives in rural Ghana. ProQuest Dissertations and Theses. 2011.
Sexually transmitted infections, HIV/AIDS
- Chang LW, Kagaayi J, Arem H, Nakigozi G, Ssempijja V, Serwadda D, Quinn TC, Gray RH, Bollinger RC, Reynolds SJ. Impact of a mHealth intervention for peer health workers on AIDS care in rural Uganda: a mixed methods evaluation of a cluster-randomized trial. AIDS Behav. 2011 Nov;15(8):1776-84.
- Dowshen N, Kuhns LM, Johnson A, Holoyda BJ, Garofalo R. Improving adherence to antiretroviral therapy for youth living with HIV/AIDS: a pilot study using personalized, interactive, daily text message reminders. J Med Internet Res. 2012 Apr 5;14(2):e51.
- Karanja S, Mbuagbaw L, Ritvo P, Law J, Kyobutungi C, Reid G, Ram R, Estambale B, Lester R. A workshop report on HIV mHealth synergy and strategy meeting to review emerging evidence-based mHealth interventions and develop a framework for scale-up of these interventions. Pan Afr Med J. 2011;10:37.
- Menon-Johansson AS, McNaught F, Mandalia S, Sullivan AK. Texting decreases the time to treatment for genital Chlamydia trachomatis infection. Sex Transm Infect. 2006 Feb;82(1):49-51.
- Montesinos L, Frisch LE, Greene BF, Hamilton M. An analysis of and intervention in the sexual transmission of disease. J Appl Behav Anal. 1990 Fall;23(3):275-84.
- Odeny TA, Bailey RC, Bukusi EA, Simoni JM, Tapia KA, Yuhas K, Holmes KK, McClelland RS. Text messaging to improve attendance at post-operative clinic visits after adult male circumcision for HIV prevention: a randomized controlled trial. PLoS One. 2012;7(9):e43832.
- Tavrow P, Karei EM, Obbuyi A, Omollo V. Community norms about youth condom use in Western Kenya: is transition occurring? Afr J Reprod Health. 2012 Jun;16(2):241-52.
- UNICEF. UNICEF and partner awarded for Programme Mwana, programme using SMS messages to deliver HIV test results.
- Lim MS, Hocking JS, Aitken CK, Fairley CK, Jordan L, Lewis JA, Hellard ME. Impact of text and email messaging on the sexual health of young people: a randomised controlled trial. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2012 Jan;66(1):69-74.
- Perry RC, Kayekjian KC, Braun RA, Cantu M, Sheoran B, Chung PJ. Adolescents' perspectives on the use of a text messaging service for preventive sexual health promotion. J Adolesc Health. 2012 Sep;51(3):220-5.
Gender and psychosocial aspects
- Ajzen I. The theory of planned behavior. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes. 1991;50:179-211.
- Bem DJ. Self-perception theory. In L. Berkowitz (Ed.), Advances in Experimental Social Psychology. New York: Academic Press. 1972;6:1-62.
- Thirumurthy H, Lester RT. M-health for health behaviour change in resource-limited settings: applications to HIV care and beyond. Bull World Health Organ. 2012 May 1;90(5):390-2.
- Umapathy S, O’Sullivan GA, Rahaim S. mBCC Field Guide: A Resource for Developing Mobile Behavior Change Communication Programs. Abt Associates Inc. February 2012.