OMPHI - Oxford Maternal & Perinatal Health Institute
OMPHI aims to bring together some of the best experts in the world to resolve priority maternal and perinatal health problems.
It engages medical researchers, social scientists and health management experts in some of the major issues affecting the health of mothers and newborn babies, particularly in resource-poor settings.
The Institute is currently running four large, global studies. Over 100 researchers are involved in a wide range of countries, plus a small co-ordinating team based in the Nuffield Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, University of Oxford. The studies are funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, MacArthur Foundation, EngenderHealth and the Maternal Health Task Force.
OMPHI/GFMER joint initiatives
Pre-eclampsia and eclampsia
OMPHI and GFMER started in 2010 a collaboration in the field of maternal and perinatal health eLearning, with the publication on the GFMER website of The evidence-based management of pre-eclampsia and eclampsia - University of Oxford and the Spanish version La evidencia basada en el manejo de la Preeclampsia y Eclampsia - Universidad de Oxford. The production of this course has been funded by the MacArthur Foundation through EngenderHealth, and developed by a group of healthcare professionals, led by Stephen Kennedy, José Villar and Catriona Murray (from the Nuffield Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology at the University of Oxford). Website statistics are shown in OMPHI - Website statistics.
A Feedback on eLearning Module: The evidence-based management of pre-eclampsia and eclampsia was done. A knowledge assessment test in English and in Spanish (see The Oxford Evidence-based Management of Pre-eclampsia and Eclampsia Tool (The e-learning Module) – Assessment of knowledge acquired from the online course and El manejo de la preeclampsia y eclampsia basado en las evidencias cientificas - (Un curso de formación online de la Universidad de Oxford) - Evaluación de los conocimientos adquiridos en el curso en línea) is currently performed, in collaboration with Global Voices for Maternal Health.
Training courses on The evidence-based management of pre-eclampsia and eclampsia - University of Oxford have been held in the following Countries:
- Afghanistan, Kabul, December 11-12, 2011
- Ethiopia, Gondar, December 10, 2011
- Ethiopia, Mekelle, December 12, 2011
- India, Mumbai, December 9, 2011
- Mexico, Mexico City, April 21, 2012
- Nigeria, Sokoto, December 10, 2011
Subsequently, OMPHI and GFMER have developed a second online training course on The evidence-based management of Postpartum Haemorrhage. The course has been sponsored by the Maternal Health Task Force at the Harvard School of Public Health and the funding has been provided by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. The Russian version of the course Основанная на доказательствах тактика ведения при послеродовых кровотечениях was adapted by Dr Valentina Rumyantseva with the support of the Research Center for Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Perinatology of the Ministry of Healthcare of the Russian Federation. A Spanish version by Dr Atziri Ramirez-Negrin, reviewed by Dr Sunera Sadacali, is also available: El manejo basado en la evidencia de la Hemorragia Postparto.
Training courses on The evidence-based management of Postpartum Haemorrhage have been held in the following Countries:
- Afghanistan, Kabul, May 27-28, 2014
- Ethiopia, Mekele, June 2-3, 2014
- Nigeria, Bauchi, June 7, 2014
- India, Karnataka, July 11-12 and 19, 2014
- Mexico, Mexico City, August 16-17 and 24, 2014
- Mexico, Mexico City, January 26-28, 2015
The Maternal Health Task Force (MHTF), OMPHI, GFMER and The Global Health Network (TGHN) have developed a third e-learning module on maternal infections: Maternal Infections e-Learning Course.
As of December 31, 2016, a total of 718 health professionals from 76 different countries took the assessment test (see Maternal infections knowledge assessment test - Participants by country).
Obstetric Fistula e-Learning Course is the fourth e-learning module developed by GFMER, OMPHI, MHTF and TGHN.
As of December 31, 2016, a total of 677 health professionals from 76 different countries took the assessment test (see Obstetric Fistula e-Learning Course - Participants by country).
In January 2014 a meeting has been organized by the Maternal Health Taskforce of Harvard School of Public Health to discuss the coordination of efforts and activities of the Maternal Health Taskforce of Harvard School of Public Health, the Oxford Maternal and Perinatal Health Institute (OMPHI) and the Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research (see Harvard, Oxford and GFMER Collaboration - Karim Abawi, January 2014).
The Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research has been designated as one of the principal partners for the dissemination and implementation of the INTERGROWTH-21st Project at a global level through its international network of health professionals and partner institutions (see INTERGROWTH-21st - Sandy Savini).
An INTERGROWTH-21st course on maternal, fetal and newborn growth monitoring has been developed in collaboration with OMPHI, the Maternal Health Task Force and The Global Health Network:
- INTERGROWTH-21st course on maternal, fetal and newborn growth monitoring
- Curso INTERGROWTH-21st sobre monitoramento do crescimento materno, fetal e do recém-nascido
- INTERGROWTH-21st curso sobre monitoreo del crecimiento materno, fetal y neonatal
As of December 31, 2016, a total of 401 health professionals from 59 different countries took the assessment test (see INTERGROWTH-21st/Assessing newborn size by anthropometry knowledge assessment test - Participants by country).
E-learning modules: statistics
- The evidence-based management of Pre-eclampsia and Eclampsia - University of Oxford: http://www.gfmer.org/eclampsia-english.rar
- La evidencia basada en el manejo de la Preeclampsia y Eclampsia - Universidad de Oxford: http://www.gfmer.org/eclampsia-spanish.rar
- The evidence-based management of Postpartum Haemorrhage: http://www.gfmer.ch/omphi/pph/pph.zip (see Instructions to download and launch the evidence-based management of postpartum haemorrhage module)
- The evidence-based management of Postpartum Haemorrhage (PDF)
- The evidence-based management of Postpartum Haemorrhage - Russian version adapted by Valentina Rumyantseva (PDF)
- Maternal infections (PDF files)
- Obstetric Fistula e-Learning Course (PDF)
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Global Voices for Maternal Health
- Green Templeton College
- MacArthur Foundation
- Maternal Health Task Force
- Nuffield Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- University of Oxford