Catholic University of Mozambique, Beira, Mozambique
Marilena Urso, MD, Obstetrician/Gynecologist
Obstetrician/Gynecologist, Central Hospital of Beira
Assistant Professor, Catholic University of Mozambique, Beira, Mozambique
I am a gynecologist and studied in Milan Bicocca University both for the graduate and postgraduate training. During my training i focused more in the area of gynecologic oncology, especially rare tumors affecting young women and children and trophoblastic disease and ultrasound which is a great passion I have.
I spent six months on a research project on cerebral metastasis of choriocarcinoma at the Trophoblastic disease unit at the department of Medical Oncology of Charing Cross Hospital/Imperial College in London and six months at the Department of Obstetrics and gynecology of Yale University, Connecticut. After this experience I partecipated and presented papers at 2 meetings of the International society for the study of trophoblastic disease (ISSTD) in Boston and Hong Kong.
During my last year of postgraduation I volunteered in Matany Hospital, Karamoja, North Uganda and I decided to spend more years working in Africa.
Since 2007 I am working in Beira in a project of an Italian NGO called CUAMM, DOCTORS WITH AFRICA and Italian Foreign Ministry in support of the faculty of Medicine of Catholic University of Mozambique and the Central Hospital of Beira.
In my daily work I try to work with my colleagues to improve the quality of care through training both of medical and nursing staff and students of medical and nursing school.
I believe I am deeply enriched by this particular pattern of experience because it has exposed me to different types of health systems and policies which give me good analytical skills important to make positive changes and has exposed me also to big university centers stressing the issue of training and formation as essential to improve reproductive health everywhere in the world.
- Bonazzi C, Urso M, Dell'Anna T, Sacco S, Buda A, Cantú MG. Placental site trophoblastic tumor: an overview. J Reprod Med. 2004 Aug;49(8):585-588.
- Cantú MG, Marinetti E, Perego P, Valente MG, Urso M, Landoni F. Retroperitoneal fibrosis localised to the pelvis, imitating a gynaecologic tumour. BJOG. 2003 Feb;110(2):224-226.
- Zanetta G, Fiana L, Urso M, Ratti M. Transvaginal color Doppler ultrasound for de novo ovarian carcinoma. How a good chance can be missed. Minerva Ginecol. 2002 Feb;54(1):59-61.
- Marilena Urso - Evidence based approaches to sexuality education for adolescents - Assignment
- Marilena Urso - Introduction to adolescence and to adolescent health - Assignment