Module 2: HIV/AIDS and young people
September 9, 2011 - Geneva
Ferguson J. HIV/AIDS and young people. Paper presented at: Training Course in Sexual and Reproductive Health Research; 2011 Sep 9; Geneva. Available from: https://www.gfmer.ch/SRH-Course-2011/adolescent-health/HIV-AIDS-young-people-Ferguson-2011.htm
Objectives of the module
The objectives of the module are:
- To understand the reasons why it is important to focus on HIV in young people
- To have an overview of scope of the HIV epidemic in young people
- To have an overview of the special needs of adolescents living with HIV (ALHIV)
- To have an overview of the responses to HIV/YP: achievements and challenges
- To be aware of some key international resources available
Empowering young people to protect themselves from HIV represents one of UNAIDS’ ten priority areas, with the overall goal of a 30% reduction in new HIV infections by 2015 (c.f. UNAIDS young people document).
Using the resource materials to assist you in addition to the knowledge of your country:
- Identify the groups of young people in your country who should be targeted with HIV interventions.
- Describe briefly the factors (the 'drivers') which make them vulnerable.
- List the interventions most important (for each group) which would contribute to achieving the UNAIDS goal
- Inter-Agency Task Team on HIV and Young People. Guidance brief. Overview of HIV interventions for young people. New York: United Nations Population Fund, HIV/AIDS Branch; 2008.
- Interagency Youth Working Group, USAID, UNAIDS, FHI. Young people most at risk of HIV: A meeting report and discussion paper from the Interagency Youth Working Group, U.S. Agency for International Development, the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) Inter-Agency Task Team on HIV and Young People, and FHI. Research Triangle Park (NC): FHI; 2010.
- WHO, UNICEF. Global consultation on strengthening the health sector response to care, support, treatment and prevention for young people living with HIV. Geneva: WHO; 2008.
- UNAIDS. We can empower young people to protect themselves from HIV. Geneva: UNAIDS; 2010.
- UNAIDS. UNAIDS terminology guidelines. Geneva: UNAIDS; 2010.
- UNAIDS interagency task team on HIV and young people / editors: David Ross, Bruce Dick, Jane Ferguson. Preventing HIV/AIDS in young people : a systematic review of the evidence from developing countries. WHO technical report series; no. 938. Geneva: WHO; 2006.
- UNICEF. Opportunity in Crisis: Preventing HIV from early adolescence to young adulthood. New York: UNICEF; 2011.