University College of Medical Sciences and Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital, Delhi, India
Radhika A.G., MD
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University College of Medical Sciences and Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital, Delhi, India
Life Member of the Association of the Obstetricians & Gynaecologists of Delhi
I am an Obstetrician and Gynecologist working at a tertiary care government teaching hospital located in East Delhi, India. The hospital caters to the heavily populated surrounding slum clusters and the Western Uttar Pradesh areas.
The responsibilities and work in the hospital do not allow me enough time to make frequent visits to the community. Over time, I found that the large collection of patients and relatives in the waiting area in the Out Patient Department can easily be approached for health education and awareness building exercises. My interests in the health effects of Smokeless Tobacco Products and being the Officer in charge of two important governments run health programs namely, Prevention of Parent to Child Transmission of HIV/AIDS and the Thalassemia Prevention Programme, I with my team frequently organize impromptu lectures, quiz programmes and street plays. We ensure reward to the winner who performs well after an initial public education talk on health topic e.g. antenatal care, perineal hygiene, basic facts about HIV/AIDS and its transmission, health effects of smoking, smokeless tobacco product use in women and second hand smoking. This has made these programmes hugely popular with enthusiastic participation. A further step for more effective dissemination of information has been by involving the ASHA (Accredited Social Health Activist) workers. This has added the required impact to our efforts especially in the direction of prevention of tobacco use.
I am deeply interested in clinical and systematic research. I am trained in conducting Systematic Reviews. Other than being a Cochrane reviewer and author, I am also a member of the South Asian Cochrane Network.
Publications indexed in PubMed
- Agarwal R, Radhika AG, Radhakrishnan G, Malik R. Faeces per vaginum: a combined gut and uterine complication of unsafe abortion. J Obstet Gynaecol India. 2013 Apr;63(2):142-4. doi: 10.1007/s13224-012-0177-1
- Sharma L, Singh A, Bhaskaran S, Radhika AG, Radhakrishnan G. Fallopian tube herniation: an unusual complication of surgical drain. Case Rep Obstet Gynecol. 2012;2012:194350. doi: 10.1155/2012/194350
- Mehta S, Rajaram S, Goel N, Radhika AG, Agarwal N. Sex cord stromal tumors-unusual presentations. J Obstet Gynaecol India. 2011 Oct;61(5):543-5. doi: 10.1007/s13224-011-0087-7
- Agarwal R, Radhakrishnan G, Radhika AG, Jain J, Sharma S, Srivastava H. Pregnancy concomitant with metastatic adult granulosa cell tumor. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2011 Sep;284(3):743-7. doi: 10.1007/s00404-011-1958-y
- Rashmi, Radhakrishnan G, Radhika AG, Sharma S. Growing teratoma syndrome: a rare complication of germ cell tumors. Indian J Cancer. 2010 Dec;47(4):486-7. doi: 10.4103/0019-509X.73567
- Agarwal R, Sharma S, Guleria K, Radhakrishnan G, Radhika AG. Primary peritoneal carcinoma: a diagnostic dilemma. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2010 Jul;282(1):115-6. doi: 10.1007/s00404-009-1343-2
- Agarwal R, Radhika AG, Malik R, Radhakrishnan G. Cotyledonoid leiomyoma and non-descent vaginal hysterectomy. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2010 May;281(5):971-2. doi: 10.1007/s00404-009-1274-y
- Vaid NB, Radhika AG, Radhakrishnan G. Longitudinal vaginal septum “obstructive variety”--a challenge for gynaecologist. J Indian Med Assoc. 2008 Apr;106(4):250, 255.
- Radhika AG, Goel M, Radhakrishnan G, Arora S, Guleria K. Severe osteomalacia presenting as numerous fractures in late pregnancy. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2008 Jan;100(1):92-3. doi: 10.1016/j.ijgo.2007.06.046
- Radhika AG, Vaid NB, Radhakrishnan G, Arora M, Grover A. Myotonic dystrophy with pregnancy. J Indian Med Assoc. 2007 May;105(5):269-70.
- University College of Medical Sciences, Dilshad Garden, Delhi
- Office bearers of the National Association of Reproductive and Child Health of India, Delhi chapter (2014-16) - A.G. Radhika - GFMER picture of the week by Lynn Gertiser
- A panel of experts discussing antenatal care on Doordarshan (National Television) in India - A.G. Radhika - GFMER picture of the week by Lynn Gertiser