Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Shandong Provincial Hospital,
Shandong University, China
Zi-Jiang Chen, MD, Obstetrician/Gynecologist
Vice Dean, School of Medicine, Shandong University, China
Director, Center for Reproductive Medicine, Shandong University
Vice President, Shandong Provincial Hospital
Chair and Professor, Department of Ob & Gyn, Shandong Provincial Hospital
Director, Center for Reproductive Medicine
Vice President, Renji Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine
I am a professor of department of OB/GYN; Director of Center for Reproductive Medicine; Vice president of Shandong Provincial Hospital; Vice dean of School of Medicine, Shandong University.
I have extensive experience in diagnosis and treatment of gynecological endocrinology, infertility and reproductive genetics. In my center, about 10000 cycles of IVF or ICSI are performed per year with above 50% pregnancy rate. I focused on clarification the molecular mechanism causative for reproductive related disorders, and conducted genome- wide association study (GWAS) for polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), premature ovarian failure (POF) and nonobstructive azoospermia (NOA) and revealed novel susceptible loci. I have also performed candidate genes screening and functional characterization contributing to PCOS and POF. Up to now, I published more than 200 articles in journals such as Nat Genet, Am J Hum Genet, Hum Mol Genet, Fertil Steril, Hum Reprod, et al.
Selected publications in journals
- Yongyong Shi, Han Zhao, Yuhua Shi, Yunxia Cao, Dongzi Yang, Zhiqiang Li,Bo Zhang, Xiaoyan Liang, Tao L, Jianhua Chen, Jiawei Shen, Junzhao Zhao,Li You, Xuan Gao, Dongyi Zhu, Xiaoming Zhao, Ying Yan, Yingying Qin, Wenjin Li, Junhao Yan, Qingzhong Wang, Junli Zhao, Ling Geng, Jinlong Ma, Yueran Zhao,Guang He, Aiping Zhang, Shuhua Zou, Aijun Yang, Jiayin Liu, Weidong Li, Baojie Li, Chunling Wan, Ying Qin, Juanzi Shi, Jing Yang, Hong Jiang, Jin-e Xu, Xiujuan Qi, Yun Sun,Yajie Zhang, Cuifang Hao, Xiuqing Ju, Dongni Zhao, Chun-e Ren, Xiuqing Li, Wei Zhang, Yiwen Zhang, Jiangtao Zhang, Di Wu, Changming Zhang, Lin He, and Zi-Jiang Chen. Genome-wide association study identifies eight new risk loci for polycystic ovary syndrome. Nature Genetics. 2012; 44(9): 1020-5.
- Zi-Jiang Chen, Han Zhao, Lin He, Yuhua Shi, Yingying Qin, Yongyong Shi, Zhiqiang Li, Li You, Junli Zhao, Jiayin Liu, Xiaoyan Liang, Xiaoming Zhao, Junzhao Zhao, Yingpu Sun, Bo Zhang, Hong Jiang, Dongni Zhao, Yuehong Bian, Xuan Gao, Ling Geng, Yiran Li, Dongyi Zhu, Xiuqin Sun, Jin-e Xu, Cuifang Hao, Chun-e Ren, Yajie Zhang, Shiling Chen, Wei Zhang, Aijun Yang, Junhao Yan, Yuan Li, Jinlong Ma, Yueran Zhao. Genome-wide association study identifies susceptibility loci for polycystic ovary syndrome on chromosome 2p16.3, 2p21 and 9q33.3. Nature Genetics. 2011; 43(1): 55-59.
- Han Zhao, Jianfeng Xu, Haobo Zhang, Yingpu Sun, Jielin Sun, Zhong Wang, Jiayin Liu, Qiang Ding, Shaoming Lu, Rong Shi, Li You, Yingying Qin, Xiaoming Zhao, Xiaoling Lin, Xiao Li, Junjie Feng, Li Wang, Jeffrey M. Trent, Chengyan Xu, Ying Gao, Bo Zhang, Xuan Gao, Jingmei Hu, Hong Chen, Guangyu Li, Junzhao Zhao, Shuhua Zou, Hong Jiang, Cuifang Hao, Yueran Zhao, Jinglong Ma, S. Lilly Zheng, and Zi-Jiang Chen. A Genome-wide Association Study Reveals Variants within the HLA Region Are Associated with Risk for Nonobstructive Azoospermia. Am J Hum Genet. 2012; 90(5): 900-906.
- Han Zhao, Zi-Jiang Chen(Co-first authors), Yingying Qin, Yuhua Shi, Shan Wang, Youngsok Choi, Joe Leigh Simpson, Aleksandar Rajkovic. Transcription Factor FIGLA is Mutated in Patients with Premature Ovarian Failure. American Journal of Human Genetics. 2008; 82(6): 1342-1348.
- Yingying Qin, Youngsok Choi, Han Zhao, Joe Leigh Simpson, Zi-Jiang Chen, Aleksandar Rajkovic. NOBOX Homeobox Mutation Causes Premature Ovarian Failure. American Journal of Human Genetics. 2007; 81(3): 576-581.
- Yingying Qin, Han Zhao, Jianfeng Xu, Yongyong Shi, Zhiqiang Li, Jie Qiao, Jiayin Liu, Chunrong Qin, Chune Ren, Jie Li, Shiling Chen, Yunxia Cao, China POF Study Group, Joe Leigh Simpson, Zi-Jiang Chen. Association of 8q22.3 locus in Chinese Han with idiopathic premature ovarian failure (POF). Hum Mol Genet. 2012 Jan 15; 21(2):430-6.
- Li T, Zhao H, Zhao X, Zhang B, Cui L, Shi Y, Li G, Wang P, and Chen ZJ. Identification of YAP1 as a Novel Susceptibility Gene for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. J Med Genet. 2012; 49(4): 254-7.
- Yingying Qin, Mei Sun, Li You, Deying Wei, Jielin Sun, Xiaoyan Liang, Bo Zhang, Hong Jiang, Jianfeng Xu and Zi-Jiang Chen. ESR1, HK3 and BRSK1 gene variants are associated with both age at natural menopause and premature ovarian failure. Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases. 2012 Jan 17; 7(1):5.
- Han Zhao, Xinghua Xu, Xiuye Xing, Jianfeng Wang, Lin He, Yongyong Shi, Yuhua Shi, Yueran Zhao, Zi-Jiang Chen. Family-Based Analysis of Susceptibility Loci for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome on Chromosome 2p16.3, 2p21 and 9q33.3. Human Reproduction. 2012; 27(1): 294-8.
- M. Guo, Z.J. Chen, M.J.E. Eijkemans, A.J. Goverde1, B.C.J.M. Fauser, and N.S. Macklon. Comparison of the phenotype of Chinese versus Dutch Caucasian women presenting with polycystic ovary syndrome and oligo/amenorrhoea. Human Reproduction.2012; 27(5): 1481-8.
- Xue Jiao, Chunrong Qin, Jie Li, Yingying Qin, Xuan Gao, Bo Zhang, Xiumei Zhen, Yun Feng, Joe Leigh Simpson, and Zi-Jiang Chen.Cytogenetic analysis of 531 Chinese women with premature ovarian failure. Hum Reprod. 2012; 27(7): 2201-7.
- Zhang B, Zhao H, Li T, Gao X, Gao Q, Tang R, Zhang J, Chen ZJ. Association Study of Gene LPP in Women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Plos One. 2012;7(10):e46370.
- Hong-Yan Wang, Yun-Hong Li, Lei Sun, Xuan Gao, Li You,Yin Wang, Jing-Long Ma, Zi-Jiang Chen. Allotransplantation of cryopreserved prepubertal mouse ovaries restored puberty and fertility without affecting methylation profile of Snrpn-DMR. Fertil Steril. 2012 Sep 14. pii: S0015-0282(12)02082-1. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2012.08.030. [Epub ahead of print]
- T. Guo, Y. Qin, X. Gao, H. Chen, G. Li, J. Ma and Z.-J. Chen. The role of male chromosomal polymorphism played in spermatogenesis and the outcome of IVF⁄ICSI-ET treatment. Int J Androl. 2012 Jun 19. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2605.2012.01284.x. [Epub ahead of print]
- Zhenyan Wang, Tao Li, Wei Zhang, Li You, Yueran Zhao, Mingdi Xia, Han Zhao, Zi-Jiang Chen. Variants in DENND1A and LHCGR are associated with endometrioid adenocarcinoma. Gynecologic Oncology. 2012. [Epub ahead of print]
- Junhao Yan, Sotirios H. Saravelos, Ning Ma, Caihong Ma, Zi-Jiang Chen, Tin-Chiu Li. Consecutive repeat miscarriages are likely to occur in the same gestational period. Reprod Biomed Online. 2012; 24(6):634-8.
- Xinyue Chang, Yingying Qin, Chengyan Xu, Guangyu Li, Xiaoming Zhao, Zi-Jiang Chen. Mutations in WNT4 are not responsible for Müllerian duct abnormalities in Chinese women. Reprod Biomed Online. 2012; 24(6): 630-3.
- Xinghua Xu, Yuhua Shi, Yuqian Cui, Jinlong Ma, Li Che, Zi-Jiang Chen. Endocrine and Metabolic Characteristics of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome in Chinese Women with Different Phenotypes. Clin Endocrinol. 2012;76(3): 425-30.
- Yujie Dang, Yingying Qin, Rong Tang, Yulan Mu, Guangyu Li, Mingdi Xia, Zi-Jiang Chen.Variants of the WNT7A gene in Chinese patients with m€ullerian duct abnormalities. Fertil and Steril. 2012; 97(2): 391-394.
- Mingdi Xia, Han Zhao, Yingying Qin, Yulan Mu, Jia Wang, Jinglong Ma, Zi-Jiang Chen. LHX1 Mutation Screening in 96 Patients with Müllerian Duct Abnormalities. Fertil and Steril. 2012; 97(3):682-5.
- Peng Wang, Han Zhao, Mei Sun, Yuan Li, Zi-Jiang Chen. PAX2 in 192 Chinese women with Müllerian duct abnormalities: mutation analysis. Reprod Biomed Online. 2012; 25(2): 219-22.
- Lei Sun, Ke-Liang Wu, Di Zhang, Hong-Yan Wang, Yue Wang, Zhen-Yu Xu, Xiu-Ying, Huang, Zi-Jiang Chen, Houqi Liu. Increased cleavage rate of human nuclear transfer embryos after 5-aza-2'-deoxycytidine treatment. Reprod Biomed Online. 2012; 25(4): 425-33.
- Junhao Yan, Guoning Huang, Yingpu Sun, Xiaoming Zhao, Shiling Chen, Shuhua Zou, Cuifang Hao, Song Quan, Zi-Jiang Chen. Birth defects after assisted reproductive technologies in China: analysis of 15,405 offspring in seven centers (2004 to 2008). Fertility and Sterility. 2011; 95(1): 458-460.
- Chao Li, Yuhua Shi, Li You, Laicheng Wang, Zi-Jiang Chen. Association of rs10830963 and rs10830962 SNPs in the melatonin receptor (MTNR1B) gene among Han Chinese women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Molecular Human Reproduction. 2011 Mar;17(3):193-198.
- Shan Liu, Huai L. Feng, Dennis Marchesi, Zi-Jiang Chen, Avner Hershlag. Effect of gonadotropins on dynamic events and global deoxyribonucleic acid methylation during in vitro maturation of oocytes: an animal model. Fertility and Sterility. 2011; 95(4): 1503-1506.
- GAO Shan-shan, SHENG Yan, LI Yuan, LI Mei, YANG Hui-jun, CHEN Zi-jiang. Twin delivery of a 46,XY gonadal dysgenetic woman following vitrified oocytes donation. Chinese Medical Journal. 2011; 124(7): 1109-1110.
- Mei Li, Yuan Li, Shui-Ying Ma, Huai-Liang Feng, Hui-Jun Yang, Ke-Liang Wu, Wan-Xia Zhong, Li Che, Zi-Jiang Chen. Evaluation of the developmental potential of metaphase I oocytes from stimulated intracytoplasmic sperm injection cycles. Reproductive Fertility and Development. 2011; 23(3): 433-437.
- Xiuye Xing, Junhao Yan, Yueran Zhao, Li You, Yuehong Bian, Zi-Jiang Chen. Association of Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor Gene Polymorphisms with Recurrent Spontaneous Abortion in Chinese Han Women. American Journal of Reproductive Immunology. 2011; 65(5): 521-525.
- Xing X, Zhao H, Li M, Sun M, Li Y, Chen ZJ. Morphologically abnormal oocytes not capable of fertilization despite repeated strategies. Fertil Steril. 2011; 95(7): 2435.e5-7.
- Zhao Z, Qin Y(Co-first authors), Ma J(Co-first authors), Zhao H, Li J, Wang L, Ren C, Che L, Chen ZJ. PTEN gene analysis in premature ovarian failure patients. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2011; 90(6): 678-679.
- Jinlong Ma, Yingying Qin, Wen Liu, Hua Duan, Zi-Jiang Chen. Analysis of PBX1 mutations in 192 Chinese women with Müllerian duct abnormalities. Fertility and Sterility. 2011; 95(8): 2615-7.
- Jian-Min Zhang, Yan Sheng, Yong-Zhi Cao, Hong-Yan Wang, Zi-Jiang Chen. Cryopreservation of whole ovaries with vascular pedicles: vitrification or conventional freezing? J Assist Reprod Genet. 2011; 28(5):445-452.
- Yingying Qin, Zhiyi Zhao, Mei Sun, Ling Geng, Li Che, Zi-Jiang Chen. Association of basal serum testosterone levels with ovarian response and in vitro fertilization outcome. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2011; 9(1): 9.
- Chao Li, Yuhua Shi, Li You, Laicheng Wang, Zi-Jiang Chen. Melatonin Receptor 1A Gene Polymorphism Associated with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Gynecol Obstet Invest. 2011; 72(2): 130-134.
- Jian-Min Zhang , Yan Sheng, Yong-Zhi Cao, Hong-Yan Wang, Zi-Jiang Chen. Effects of cooling rates and ice-seeding temperatures on the cryopreservation of whole ovaries. J Assist Reprod Genet. 2011; 28(7): 627-633.
- Xinghua Xu, Han Zhao, Yuhua Shi, Li You, Yuehong Bian, Yueran Zhao, Zi-Jiang Chen. Family association study between INSR gene polymorphisms and PCOS in Han Chinese. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2011; 9(1): 76.
- Yun Shen, Laicheng Wang, Yueran Zhao, Li You, Ling Geng, Harvest F. Gu and Zi-Jiang Chen. Evaluation of the association between GHR exon 3 polymorphism and polycystic ovary syndrome among Han Chinese women. Growth Horm IGF Res. 2011;21(5):248-251.
- Zi-Jiang Chen. Barriers to conducting clinical research in reproductive medicine: China. Fertility and Sterility. 2011; 96(4): 811-2.
- Chao Li, Binglong Qiao, Ying Zhan, Weihong Qi, Zi-Jiang Chen. First Evidence of Genetic Association Between the MIF-173G/C Single-Nucleotide Polymorphisms and Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2011; 66(5): 416-622.
- Junhao Yan, Lingling Fan, Yueran Zhao, Li You, Laicheng Wang, Han Zhao, Yuan Li and Zi-Jiang Chen. DYZ1 copy number variation, Y chromosome polymorphism and early recurrent spontaneous abortion/early embryo growth arrest. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2011; 159(2): 371-374.
- Shan Liu, Huai L. Feng, Dennis Marchesi, Zi-Jiang Chen and Avner Hershlag. Dose-dependent effects of gonadotropin on oocyte developmental competence and apoptosis. Reproductive Fertility and Development. 2011; 23(8): 990-996.
- Y. Cui , J. Ma , Y. Shi , Q. Huan , H. Guo , Y. Zhao , Z.-J. Chen. Positive and Negative Feedback Regulation in the Production and Secretion of Insulin from INS-1 Cells by Testosterone. Hormone and Metabolic Research. 2011; 43(13): 911-8.
- Junhao Yan, Yuan Li, Yuhua Shi, Huai L. Feng, Shanshan Gao, Zi-jiang Chen. Assessment of Sex Chromosomes of Human Embryos Arising from Monopronucleus Zygotes in in vitro fertilization and Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection Cycles of Chinese Women. Gynecologic and Obstetric Investigation. 2010; 69(1): 20-23.
- Qing Huan, Xuan Gao, Yan Wang, Yun Shen, Wu Ma, Zi-Jiang Chen. Comparative Evaluation of Human Embryonic Stem Cell Lines Derived From Zygotes With Normal and Abnormal Pronuclei. Developmental Dynamics. 2010; 239(2): 425-438.
- Shan Liu, Yuan Li, Xuan Gao, Jun-Hao Yan, Zi-Jiang Chen. Changes in the distribution of mitochondria before and after in vitro maturation of human oocytes and the effect of in vitro maturation on mitochondria distribution. Fertility and Sterility. 2010; 93(5): 1550-1555.
- JunHao Yan, KeLiang Wu, Rong Tang, LingLing Ding and Zi-Jiang Chen. Effect of maternal age on the outcomes of in vitro fertilization and embryo transfer (IVF-ET). Science China Life Sciences. 2012; 55(8): 694-698.
- H. Lv, J.C. Wang, K.L. Wu, X. Gao, L.C. Wang, L. You, Z.J. Chen. Numb regulates meiotic spindle organization in mouse oocytes. Reproductive Fertility and Development. 2010; 22(4): 664-72.
- Cui-fang HAO, Ning ZHANG, Qinglan QU, Xiong Wang, Harvest F. GU, Zi-jiang CHEN. Evaluation of the association between the CYP19 Tetranucleotide (TTTA)n Polymorphism and Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome(PCOS) in Han Chinese Women. Neuroendocrinology Letters. 2010; 31(3): 370-374.
- Shan Liu, Yuan Li, Huai L. Feng, Jun H. Yan, Mei Li, Shui Y. Ma, Zi J. Chen. Dynamic modulation of cytoskeleton during in vitro maturation in human oocytes. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2010; 203(2): 151.e1-7.
- Xuan Gao, Junhao Yan, Yun Shen, Mei Li, Shuiying Ma, Junchao Wang, Qing Huan, Sexin Huang, Wu Ma, Zi-jiang Chen. Human Fetal Trophonema Matrix and Uterine Endometrium Support Better Human Embryonic Stem Cell Growth and Neural Differentiation than Mouse Embryonic Fibroblasts. Clone and stem cells (Cellular Reprogramming). 2010; 12(3): 295-303.
- M Guo, ZJ Chen , NS Macklon, YH Shi, HE Westerveld, MJ Eijkemans, BCJM Fauser, AJ Goverde. Cardiovascular and metabolic characteristics of infertile Chinese women with PCOS diagnosed according to the Rotterdam consensus criteria. Reproductive BioMedicine Online. 2010; 21(4): 572-580.
- Yu-Lian Jiao, Bing-Chang Zhang, Li You , Jian-Feng Li, Jie Zhang，Chun-Yan Ma, Bin Cui, Lai-Cheng Wang, Zi-Jiang Chen, Yue-Ran Zhao. Polymorphisms of KIRs Gene and HLA-C Alleles: Possible Association with Susceptibility to HLA-B27-Positive Patients with Ankylosing Spondylitis. Journal of Clinical Immunology. 2010; 30(6): 840-4.