Department of Medical Physiology/Obstetrics and Gynaecology, College of Medicine,
University of Nigeria, Enugu Campus, Nigeria
Uchenna Nwagha, MD, Obstetrician/Gynecologist, Reproductive Physiology
Senior Lecturer , Department of Medical Physiology/Obstetrics and Gynaecology, College of Medicine, University of Nigeria, Enugu Campus
Honorary Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist, University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital Enugu
Uchenna Nwagha graduated from the University of Nigeria Enugu Campus Medical School, with a distinction in Medical Physiology. He is a fellow of the West African College of Surgeons and the International College of Surgeons in the Faculty of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. He also holds a Master’s of Science degree in Physiology and currently a PhD student in Reproductive Biology and also a student of Public Administration. Uchenna has a joint appointment in the Department of Physiology and Obstetrics and Gynaecology where he has been a Senior Lecturer for the past seven years. His Professorial chair is undergoing external assessment. His special area of interest is in Physiology of Pregnancy and Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility. He was the Chief Resident and Academic Coordinator during his residency training. He has attended many conferences and workshops and has many publications in peer reviewed Journals. Currently, he is the editor in chief of Annals of Medical and Health sciences Research and Journal of Basic and Clinical Reproductive Sciences. He is a Member, Society of Gynaecologist and Obstetricians of Nigeria (SOGON), European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology (ESHRE), International College of Surgeons (ICS) and World Association of Medical Editors (WAME). He is a Team player and happily married with three lovely children.
Publications in journals
- Ogbodo SO, Nwagha UI, Okaka A, Okeke AC, Chukwurah FE, Ezeonu PO. Low levels of some nutritional parameters of pregnant women in a rural community of South East Nigeria: Implications for the attainment of the millennium developmental goal. Ann Med Health Sci Res. 2012;2:49-55.
- Ejezie FE,Okaka ANC, Nwagha UI. Reduced Maternal Selenium during Pregnancy and lactation; Should routine Selenium Supplementation be Advocated ??. Nig J Med. 2012;21:98-102.
- Nwagha UI. The Challenges of our Nation and Prospects for our Journal; less than half a decade to the MDGs. Ann Med Health Sci Res. 2011;1:0.
- Nwagha UI, Ogbodo SO, Nwogu-Ikojo E, Ibegbu DM, Ejezie FE, Nwagha TU, Dim CC. Copper and selenium status of healthy pregnant women in Enugu, southeastern Nigeria. Nig J Clin Pract. 2011;14(4):409-13.
- Nwagha UI, Okeke TC, Nwagha TU, Ejezie FE, Ogbodo SO, Dim CC, Anyaehie BU. Asymptomatic malaria parasitemia does not induce additional oxidative stress in pregnant women of South East Nigeria. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine. 2011;4(3):229-33.
- Ekenze SO, Nwagha UI, Ezomike UO, Obasi AA, Okafor DC, Nwankwo EP. Management of Sexual Assault-related Large Rectovaginal Fistula in an Eight-Year-Old. Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology. 2011;24(2):e39-e41.
- Dim CC, Ikeme AC, Ezegwui HU, Nwagha UI. Labor support: an overlooked maternal health need in Enugu, south-eastern Nigeria. Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine. 2011;24(3):471-4.
- Ejezie FE, Nwagha UI, Ikekpeazu EJ, Ozoemena OFN, Onwusi EA. Assessment of Iron Content of Breast Milk in Preterm and Term Mothers in Enugu Urban. Ann Med Health Sci Res. 2011;1(1):85-90.
- Ejezie FE and Nwagha UI .Zinc Concentration during Pregnancy and Lactation in Enugu, South-East Nigeria. Ann Med Health Sci Res. 2011;1(1):69-76.
- Anyaehie USB, Nwobodo E, Oze G, Nwagha UI, Orizu I, Okeke T, Anyanwu GE. Medical students' evaluation of physiology environments in two Nigerian medical schools learning. Advan in Physiol Edu. 2011;35:146-8.
- Dim CC, Nwagha UI, Onyedum CC, Ezegwui HU. Prevalence of cervical squamous intraepithelial lesions among HIV-positive women in Enugu, South-eastern Nigeria. 2011; 31(8):759-62.
- Ufelle SA, Ukaejiofo EO, Neboh EE, Achukwu PU, Nwagha UI, Ghasi S. The Effect of Crude Methanolic Leaf Extract of Bryophyllum pinnatum on Some Haematological Parameters in Wistar Rats. Research Journal of Pharmacology. 2011:5;14-7.
- Anyaehie USB, Nwagha UI, Aniebue PN. The effect of free distribution of insecticide-treated nets on asymptomatic Plasmodium parasitemia in pregnant and nursing mothers in a rural Nigerian community. Nig J Clin Pract. 2011:14;19-22.
- Nwagha UI, Ikekpeazu EJ, Ejezie FE, Neboh EE, Maduka IC. Atherogenic index of plasma as useful predictor of cardiovascular risk among postmenopausal women in Enugu, Nigeria. Afr Health Sci. 2010;10(3):248-52.
- Nwagha UI, Nwachukwu D, Dim V, Ibekwe PC, Onyebuchi A. Maternal mortality trend in South East Nigeria; less than a decade to the Millennium Developmental goals. J Women's Health (Larchmt). 2010;19(2):323-7.
- Iyare EE, Adegoke OA, Nwagha UI. Mechanism of delayed puberty in rats whose mothers consumed Hibiscus sabdariffa during lactation. Pharm Biol. 2010;48(10):1170-6
- Iyare EE, Adegoke OA, Nwagha UI. Mechanism of the decreased food consumption and weight gain in rats following consumption of aqueous extract of the calyx of hibiscus sabdariffa during pregnancy. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine. 2010;1:185-8.
- Nwachukwu DC, Nwagha UI, Obikili EN, Ejezie FE, Okwuosa CN, Nweke ML, Ezeh CO. Assessment of body mass index and blood pressure among university students in, Enugu, South East, Nigeria. Nig J Med. 2010;19(2):148-52.
- Nwagha UI, Ugwu VO, Nwagha TU, Anyaehie USB. Asymptomatic Plasmodium parasitaemia in pregnant Nigerian women; almost a decade after Roll Back Malaria. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2009;103(1):16-20.
- Nwagha UI, Ejezie FE, Iyare EE. Evaluation of serum uric acid levels in normal pregnant Nigerian women. Niger J Clin Pract. 2009;12(1):83-6.
- Iyare EE, Nwagha UI. Post-weaning Consumption of Aqueous Extract of Hibiscus sabdariffa May Predispose Rats to Obesity. Pakistan Journal of Nutrition. 2009;8(11):1760-5.
- Dim CC, Nwagha UI, Ezegwui HU, Dim NR. The need to incorporate routine cervical cancer counselling and screening in the management of women at the out-patient clinics in Nigeria. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 2009;29(8):754-6.
- Iyare EE, Adegoke OA, Nwagha UI. Delayed Puberty Onset In Rats That Consumed Aqueous Extract Of Hibiscus Sabdariffa During The Juvenile-Pubertal Period. Pak J Biol Sci. 2009;12(23):1505-10.
- Ejezie FE, Nwagha UI, Ikekpeazu JE, Maduka IC, Neboh E, Nwachukwu DC, Nwagha TU. Evaluation Serum Iron Status of Lactating Mothers on Exclusive Breastfeeding in Enugu, South East Nigeria. Journal of College of Medicine. 2009;14(2):15-21.
- Ogbodo SO, Nwagha UI, Okaka ANC, Ogenyi SC, Okoko RO, Nwagha TU. Malaria Parasitaemia among Pregnant Women in a rural community of Eastern Nigeria; Need for combined measures. Nigerian Journal of Physiological Sciences. 2009;24(2):5-10.
- Achukwu PU, Ufelle SA, Ukaejiofo EO, Ejezie FE, Nwachukwu DN, Nwagha UI, Nworie WC, Anyaehie USB. The Effect of Potassium Bromate on Some Haematological Parameters of Wistar Rats. Nigerian Journal of Physiological Sciences. 2009;24(1):59-61.
- Nwagha UI, Ugwu OV, Nwagha U, Anyaehie USB. The Influence of Parity on the Gestational Age at Booking among Pregnant Women in Enugu, South East Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Physiological Sciences. 2008;23(1-2):67-70.
- Nwagha UI, Obiora CC, Anyaehie USB, Aronu C, Igweh JC. Endocrine assessment of non obese infertile females in a developing economy. Biosci Biotech Res Asia. 2008;5(1):145-50.
- Nwagha IU, Ugwu EO, Onyebuchi AK, Dim C, Anyaehie USB. Emergency contraception; knowledge, attitude and perception among female undergraduates in a university population in Nigeria. Biosci Biotech Research Asia. 2008;5(1):187-92.
- Nwagha UI. The clinical utility of early follicular phase Lh/Fsh ratio as a presumptive evidence of ovulation in the management of infertile women in Enugu, Nigeria. Biosci Biotech Res Asia. 2008;5(2):617-22.
- Nwagha UI, Dim C, Nwagha TU, Anyaehie USB. Some characteristics of menarche in a developing economy. Biosci Biotech Res Asia. 2008;5(1):207-10.
- Nwagha UI, Iyoke C and Nwagha TU. Current trends in the management of ectopic pregnancy. Journal of College of Medicine. 2007;12:67-75.
- Mgbokwere U, Nwagha UI. Ludwigs angina in a puerperant: a case report. Journal of College of Medicine. 2007;12:76-9.
- Nwagha UI. Recent trends in the management of malaria in pregnancy. Proceedings of the directorate of research and publications, College of medicine, University of Nigeria. 2007;1:16-21.
- Omeh YS, Nwagha UI, Ejezie FE. Serum lipid profile of male leprosy patients in Enugu state, South East Nigeria. Journal of Medical and Pharmaceutical Science. 2007;3:86-9.
- Anyaehie USB, Nneli RO, Nwagha UI, Njoku CJ, Nweke ML. Leukocyte profile of apparently healthy prospective blood donors in owerri, Nigeria. Biosci Biotech Res Asia. 2007;4:471-6.
- Nwobodo N, Anyaehie USB, Nwobodo E, Nwagha UI. Knowledge attitude and perception of vasectomy by educated Nigerian Christians. Biosci Biotech Res Asia. 2007;4:483-8.
- Nwagha UI, Ejezie FE. Serum Ascorbic acid levels during pregnancy in Enugu. Nigeria. Journal of college of Medicine, Enugu. 2005;10(1):43-5.
- Nwagha IU, Okaro JM, Nwagha TU. Placenta percreta, a Review of literature, Nigerian Journal of Medicine. 2005;14:261-6.
- Nwagha IU, Igweh JC. Atherogenic Index of plasma; a significant indicator for the onset of atherosclerosis during menopause in hypertensive females of South East. Journal of College of Medicine. 2005;10(2):67-71.
- Nwagha IU, Okaro JM, Nwagha TU. Intraoperative uterine packing with mops; an effective but underutilized method of controlling post partum haemorrhage; experience from South East Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of medicine. 2005;14:279-82.
- Igweh JC, Nwagha IU, Okaro JM. The Effects of menopause on the serum Lipid profile of normal females of south East Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Physiological Sciences. 2005;20(12):48-53.
- Ejezie FE, Onwusi EA, Nwagha UI. Some Biochemical markers of Oxidative stress in pregnant Nigerian Women. Trop J Obstet Gynaecol. 2004;21(2):122-4.
- Nwagha UI, Okaro JM, Nwagha TU. Third stage of Labour; a time Bomb!! - Review. Journal of college of Medicine. 2004;9(1):14-9.
- Nwagha UI, Agu KA, Nwankwo TO, Egbuji CC. Emergency myomectomy during pregnancy; a case Report. Trop J Obstet Gynaecol. 2005;22:79-80.