Citing parts of reports
National Library of Medicine (NLM) style
Patrias K. Citing medicine: the NLM style guide for authors, editors, and publishers [Internet]. 2nd ed. Wendling DL, technical editor. Bethesda (MD): National Library of Medicine (US); 2007 [updated 2009 Oct 21; cited 2010 Apr 30]. Available from: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/citingmedicine
- Sample Citation and Introduction to Citing Parts of Reports
- Citation Rules with Examples for Parts of Reports
Components/elements listed in the order they should appear in a reference: (R) = required, (O) = optional
Report (R) | Name and Number/Letter (R) | Title (R) | Location (Pagination) (R)
- Chapter in a report
- Reid PP, Compton WD, Grossman JH, Fanjiang G, editors. Building a better delivery system: a new engineering/health care partnership. Washington: National Academies Press; 2005. Grant No.: 044640. Contract No.: N01-OD-42139. Chapter 3, The tools of systems engineering; p. 27-62.
- Table in a report
- Thompson LA, Chhikara RS (School of Natural and Applied Sciences, University of Houston, Clear Lake, TX); Conklin J (Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX). Cox proportional hazards models for modeling the time to onset of decompression sickness in hypobaric environments. Houston (TX): National Aeronautics and Space Administration (US), Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center; 2003 Mar. Report No.: NASA/TP-2003-210791. Grant No.: NASA 9-1083. Table 1b, Proportion of DCS by P2 and EXER; p. 5.
- Figure in a report
- Grady SJ. A national survey of methyl tert-butyl ether and other volatile organic compounds in drinking-water sources: results of the random survey. East Hartford (CT): Geological Survey (US); 2003. Report No.: USGSWRI024079. Figure 5, Concentrations of naphthalene in all source-water and field quality-control samples analyzed for the Random Survey, plotted sequentially by date and time of analysis; p. 18.
- Appendix to a report
- Farley DO, Harris KM, Ashwood JS, Carlton J, Dydek G. The first year of the Medicare-DoD subvention demonstration: evaluation report for FY1999. Santa Monica (CA): RAND; 2000 Dec. Report No.: MR-1271.0-HCFA. Appendix A, Evaluation of the DoD-Medicare subvention demonstration; [4 p.].
- Other part of a report, with name and number/letter
- Children's environmental health: spotlight on the U.S.-Mexico border. Seventh report of the Good Neighbor Environmental Board to the President and Congress of the United States. Washington: Good Neighbor Environmental Board; 2004 Feb. Report No.: EPA 130-R-04-001. Part 2, Recommendations for improving children's environmental health along the U.S.-Mexico border; p. 9-26.
- Other part of a report, without name or number/letter
- New Jersey 2005 hospital performance report: a report on acute care hospitals for consumers. Trenton (NJ): New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services; 2005. Heart attack treatment scores; p. 4-5.
- One volume of a report
- Healthcare hazard control: environmental safety and security in healthcare facilities. Vol. 3, Analysis. Plymouth Meeting (PA): ECRI; c2005.
- Part of one volume of a report
- The health care challenge: acknowledging disparity, confronting discrimination, and ensuring equality. Vol. 2, The role of Federal civil rights enforcement efforts. Washington: United States Commission on Civil Rights; 1999 Sep. Chapter 3, Implementing civil rights provisions; p. 52-138.
- Part of a report in language other than English
- Rapport annuel de gestion [Annual administrative report]. Quebec City (QC): Agence d'Evaluation des Technologies et des Modes d'Intervention en Sante; 2003 Dec. Chapitre 2, Les activites scientifiques en 2002-2003 [Chapter 2, Scientific activities in 2002-2003]; p. 14-22. French.