Ashim Roy (Andrew)
GFMER Coordinator for Bangladesh
Dr. Ashim Roy (Andrew), MBBS, MPH (Amsterdam), MSc (UK)
Chief Executive Officer, Graduate Health Project and Assistant Professor, Department of Community Health, Institute of Health Science, Joypurhat, Bangladesh
Dr. Roy currently is teaching Community Health in a private medical college and a health technology institute. He is frequently invited by NGOs and healthcare professional organizations as a resource person to address issues of public health interests, for example: maternal health, adolescent health, provider-client interaction in healthcare, globalization and burden of globalized diseases, etc.
- MSc thesis - ‘Challenging Obesity: Promoting Physical Activity in Primary School Children in Dhaka, Bangladesh’
- MPH thesis - ‘Towards a better understanding and control of HIV: A critical analysis of HIV transmission in Bangladesh’
- Policy responses towards Family Medicine to meet emerging health care needs of the rural population: A crucial priority for the low resourced healthcare system of Bangladesh
He also regularly writes articles in local journals and WHO health bulletin; some examples are: Caring Heart, Healthier Life; Tobacco and Health (in 2013), diet, physical activity and health etc. Two of his PhD papers are under review of peer reviewed journals.
Dr. Roy is a member of the Bangladesh Medical Association. He has already attained over 15 national and international professional conferences as a resource person and as well as to represent Bangladesh.
Documents on sexual and reproductive health situation in Bangladesh
- Barkat A, Majid M. Adolescent reproductive health In Bangladesh. 2003.
- Islam M. Adolescent reproductive health in Bangladesh. 2013
- Koishorkal. Current situation of sexual and reproductive health in Bangladesh. 2015.
- Promoting objectives and goals of the GFMER; thereby, enrolling suitable candidates to the course of GFMER in Bangladesh and also communicate the information to peers in other countries.
- Teaching SRHR among public health and healthcare students of different levels and also develop faculties.
- Advocating for social mobilization for adolescent sexual and reproductive health to government and non-government forums.
- Directorate General of Health Services of Bangladesh
- Bangladesh Demographic and Health Survey 2011
- International Centre for Diarrheal Disease Research, Bangladesh
GFMER picture of the week
- Teaching at the Joypurhat Nursing Training Institute, Bangladesh - Ashim Roy - GFMER picture of the week by Lynn Gertiser
- Dr. Roy Ashim collecting data in Joypurhat district, Bangladesh - GFMER picture of the week by Lynn Gertiser