GFMER Coordinator for Iran
Shayesteh Hajizadeh, PhD of Reproductive Health, Master of Midwifery and MPH
Training Instructor, Department of Maternal and Child Health, School of Midwifery and Nursing, Tehran University of medical sciences, Tehran, Iran
Researcher, Non-Communicable Diseases Research Center,Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
My name is Shayesteh Hajizadeh and I’m PhD in Reproductive Health, Master of Midwifery and MPH. I was working in maternal and child health department, faculty of midwifery and nursing, Tehran University of medical sciences, Tehran, Iran. I have conducted several activities in fields of sexual and reproductive health training, research, management and clinical care.
I attended the Training Course in Sexual and Reproductive Health Research Geneva 2011 by GFMER; this training course gave me perspective as how to approach local problems in Reproductive health.
Reproductive Health Group in Iran involves PhD students in Reproductive Health, lecturers and specialists in midwifery, Maternal and Child Health as well as general practitioners. They are the future leaders of reproductive health in Iran. This is a chance for Iranian PhD students in Reproductive Health and other fields to attend Training Course in Sexual and Reproductive Health Research.
- Hajizadeh Sh, Ramezani F*, Simbar M, Farzadfar F. Effects of recruiting midwives into a family physician program on caesarean section rates in rural areas of Kurdistan. PLOS ONE,2016, 11(4): e0151268. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0151268
- Hajizadeh Sh, Ramezani F*, Simbar M, Farzadfar F. Effects of recruiting midwives into a family physician program on the indices of maternal health program in the rural areas of Kurdistan. Global Journal of Health Science. Vol 8, No 11 (2016) doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.5539/gjhs.v8n11p92.
- Hajizadeh Sh, Ramezani F*, Simbar M, Farzadfar F. Effects of recruiting midwives into family physician program on the percentage of low-birth-weight infants in rural areas of Kurdistan. Medical Journal of The Islamic Republic of Iran (MJIRI). Accepted. Jan 2016.
- Hajizadeh Sh, Ramezani F*, Simbar M, Farzadfar F. Factors affecting pregnancy, postpartum, and neonatal complications in rural areas of Kurdistan province. Journal of school public health and institute of public health research. 2015, 13(3): 19-36.
- Hajizadeh Sh, Ramezani F*, Simbar M, Farzadfar F. Factors influencing the use of prenatal care: a systematic review. Journal of Midwifery & Reproductive Health (JMRH) . 2016,4(1): 544-557.
- Nedjat S, Hajizadeh Sh*, Majdzadeh R, Setayesh H, Mohraz M, Gooya M. Sexual and Reproductive Health Needs of HIV Positive People in Tehran, Iran: A Mixed-Method Descriptive Study Int J Health Policy Manag 2015, 4(x), 1–8.
- Hajizadeh Sh, Vahid Dastjerdi M, Khajavi A, Farzadfar F*, Zandian E, Raza O, et al. The trend of national and subnational burden of maternal conditions in Iran from 1990 to 2013: The study protocol. Arch Iran Med . 2014; 17(3):198 – 203. doi : 0141703/AIM.0011.
- Noori A, Hajizadeh Sh, Gouya M, Farzadfar F*, et al. National and sub-national burden of infectious diseases in Iran, 1990 to 2013: the study protocol. Arch Iran Med. 2014 Mar;17(3):169-75. doi: 0141703/AIM.006.
- Hajizadeh Sh, Nedjat S*, Setayesh HR, Mohraz M, Majdzadeh R .Associated Factors with Condom Use amongst People Living with HIV Referred to Triangular Clinics of Universities of Medical Sciences in Tehran Hakim Research Journal 2013; 16(2): 144-152.
- Hajizadeh Sh*, Nedjat S, Mohraz M, Majdzadeh R, Setayesh HR, Gouya M .Fertility Intentions of HIV Patients who Referred to Behavioral Clinics of Universities of Medical Sciences in Tehran’s Journal Of Isfahan Medical School, 2012 (Issue 167).
- Hajizadeh Sh*, Nedjat S, Mohraz M, Majdzadeh R, Setayesh HR, Gouya M .High-risk behaviors of HIV positive individuals referred to Behavioral Counseling Centers of Universities of Medical Sciences in Tehran. Journal of school public health and institute of public health research 2013, 10(3): 65-76.
- Hajizadeh Sh, Nedjat S *, Mohraz M, Majdzadeh R, Setayesh HR, Gouya M .Associated Factors with Condom Use amongst People Living with HIV Referred to Triangular Clinics of Universities of Medical Sciences in Tehran’s Medical Journal of Hakim 2013, 16(2): 144-152.
- Hajizdeh Sh, Rezaie Pour A*, Geranmayeh M, Kazem Nezhad A. Assessment status of Immunization children under two years of shahriar Journal of Research in Health Sciences .ISSN 2228-7795. 2004.
- Hajizdeh Sh, Rezaie Pour A*, Geranmayeh M, Kazem Nezhad A.Evaluation of Expanded program Immunization of mothers and children under two years old in shahriar. Journal of Hayat. ISSN 1735-2215.2004.
Country situation of sexual and reproductive health
A review of maternal health care in the context of reproductive health in I. R. Iran reveals the following challenges:
- Making linkage between HIV programs and reproductive health in policy-making.
- Producing sufficient information on the side effects resulting from pregnancy and delivery for both mothers and babies.
- Improving the quality of service provided by midwives.
- Enhancing the quality of reproductive health including family planning services, and ensuring reproductive health commodity security.
- Creating a comprehensive national system for the prevention of maternal deaths.
- Establishing an appropriate monitoring system for maternal care programmes.
- Increasing awareness among adolescents about the reproductive health issues, including unwanted pregnancies during the early period of their married life.
- Providing appropriate counselling and userfriendly RH services for youth and adolescents.
- Bridging data and information gaps on certain notions of reproductive health such as breast and cervical cancer as well as abortion.
GFMER past activities in the country
Khodakarami Nahid, who attended GFMER training in the past, and I did attend the online course in 2011. Organizing this training for 2012 is going to be our first joint activity with GFMER.
- Ministry of Health and Medical Education, Iran
- UNFPA in Iran
- UNAIDS - Islamic Republic of Iran
- Vali e asr Reproductive Health Research Center
- IRCHA - Iranian Research Center for HIV/AIDS
- Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery,Tehran University of Medical Sciences