Geraldine Canny, PhD
Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research
Geraldine Canny graduated with an honours degree in Biotechnology at University College Galway and subsequently carried out a Ph.D. in intestinal immunology and epithelial biology at University College Dublin. This was followed by a post-doctoral fellowship at Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston and an instructorship at Harvard Medical School. Dr. Canny was awarded the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America young investigator of the year award in 2006. At Lausanne University Hospital, in collaboration with doctors and nurses, she established a translational research programme on endometrial biology and endometriosis. This research resulted in the discovery of a novel endometrial hormone and endometriosis biomarkers. A specialist in mucosal immunity, she has a particular interest in inflammation and its resolution, steroid hormone signaling and metabolism. Dr. Canny is the referent biologist for the "Association Suisse de Soutien Contre l'Endométriose", she is a reviewer for several journals and also serves on editorial boards and special interest groups.
- Kumar R, Clerc A-C, Gori I, Russell R, Pellegrini C, Govender L, Wyss J-C, Golshayan D, Canny GO. Lipoxin A4 prevents the progression of de novo and established endometriosis in a mouse model by attenuating prostaglandin E2 production and estrogen signaling. PLoS ONE. 2014;9(2):e89742.
- Silveira CG, Finas D, Hunold P, Köster F, Stroschein K, Canny GO, Moldenhauer G, Altevogt P, Rody A, Hornung D. L1 cell adhesion molecule as a potential therapeutic target in murine models of endometriosis using a monoclonal antibody approach. PLoS One. 2013 Dec 4;8(12):e82512. (IF 3.73)
- Gori I, Rodriguez Y, Pellegrini C, Achtari C, Hornung D, Chardonnens E, Wunder D, Fiche M, Canny GO. Augmented epithelial Multidrug resistance-associated protein 4 expression in peritoneal endometriosis; regulation by Lipoxin A4. Fertility and Sterility. 2013 Jun;99(7):1965-1973. (IF 4.174)
- Pellegrini C, Gori I, Achtari C, Hornung D, Chardonnens E, Wunder D, Fiche M, Canny GO. The expression of estrogen receptors as well as GREB1, c-MYC and Cyclin D1, estrogen-regulated genes implicated in proliferation, is increased in peritoneal endometriosis. Fertility and Sterility, 2012 Nov;98(5):1200-8. (IF 4.174)
- Russell R, Gori I, Pellegrini C, Kumar R, Achtari C, Canny GO. Lipoxin A4 is a novel estrogen receptor modulator. FASEB J. 2011 Dec;25(12):4326-37. (IF 5.704)
- Kumar R, Vicari M, Gori I, Achtari C, Fiche M, Surbeck I, Damnon F, Canny GO. Compartmentalized Secretory leukocyte protease inhibitor expression and hormone responses along the reproductive tract of postmenopausal women. J Reprod Immunol. 2011 Dec;92(1-2):88-96. (IF 2.342)
- Gori I, Pellegrini C, Staedler D, Russell R, Jan C, Canny GO. Tumour Necrosis Factor-alpha activates Estrogen signaling pathways in endometrial epithelial cells via Estrogen Receptor alpha. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2011 Oct 15;345(1-2):27-37. (IF 4.039)
- Campbell EL, Louis NA, Tomassetti SE, Canny GO, Arita M, Serhan CN, Colgan SP. Resolvin E1 promotes mucosal surface clearance of neutrophils: a new paradigm for inflammatory resolution. FASEB J. 2007 Oct;21(12):3162-70. (IF 5.704)
- Canny GO, Trifonova R T, Kindelberger D, Colgan SP, Fichorova RN. Expression and function of Bactericidal/permeability-increasing protein (BPI) in human genital tract epithelial cells. J Infect Dis. 2006 Aug 15;194(4):498-502. (IF 6.41)
- Louis NA, Hamilton KE, Canny G, Shekels LL, Ho SB, Colgan SP. Selective induction of Mucin-3 by hypoxia in intestinal epithelia. J Cell Biochem. 2006 Dec 15;99(6):1616-27. (IF 3.062)
- Canny G, Cario E , Lennartsson A, Gullberg U, Brennan C, Levy O, Colgan SP. Biochemical and functional characterization of epithelial Bactericidal/permeability-increasing protein (BPI). Am. J. Physiol. Gastrointest. Liver. Physiol., 2006 Mar; 290(3):G557-67. (IF 3.649)
- Canny G, Drudy D, Mac Mathuna P, O’farrelly C, Baird AW. Toxigenic C. difficile induced inflammatory marker expression by human intestinal epithelial layer models is assymetrical. Life Sci. 2006 Jan 25;78(9):920-5. (IF 2.555)
- Canny G, Levy O, Furuta GT, Narravula S, Sisson RB, Serhan CN, Colgan SP. Lipid mediator induced expression of Bactericidal/permeability-increasing protein (BPI) in human mucosal epithelia. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. (USA) 2002 99: 3902-7. (IF 9.737)
Letters to the editor
- Canny G. Cell line contamination and misidentification. Biol Reprod. 2013 Sep 27;89(3):76. (IF 4.027)
- Canny GO, Lessey B. The role of Lipoxin A4 in endometrial biology and endometriosis. Commissioned review. Mucosal Immunology. 2013 May;6(3):439-50. (IF 7.000)
- Canny GO, McCormick B. Bacteria in the intestine, a helpful resident or an enemy from within? Infect Immun. 2008 Aug;76(8):3360-73. (IF 4.165)
- Canny GO, Levy O. Bactericidal/permeability-increasing protein (BPI) and BPI-homologues at mucosal sites. Review. Trends Immunol. 2008 Nov;29(11):541-7. (IF 9.715)
- Canny G and Colgan SP. Adaptation to a Microbial World: Role of Epithelial Bactericidal/permeability-increasing protein (BPI). Am. J. Physiol. Gastrointest. Liver Physiol. 2005 288: G593-G597. (IF 3.65)
- Levy O, Canny G, Serhan C, Colgan SP. Expression of BPI by Human Epithelia. Biochem. Soc. Trans., 2003 (Pt 4): 795-800. (IF 3.711)
- Cássia G. T. Silveira, Admir Agic, Geraldine O. Canny, Daniela Hornung. Altered biological characteristics of eutopic and ectopic endometrium. Endometriosis - Pathogenesis and Treatment, Springer Japan, 2014, pages 251-273.
- Geraldine Canny, Alexander Swidsinski and Beth McCormick. Interactions of intestinal epithelial cells with bacteria and immune cells: methods to characterize microflora and functional consequences. Methods in Molecular Biology Series 341; 17-35, Humana Press, 2006.
- Geraldine Canny. Research on endometriosis and inflammation in the department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, CHUV. Forum Médicale Suisse, Issue 2, 2011.
- Endometriosis Research Center
- World Endometriosis Society
- World Endometriosis Research Foundation
- Association Suisse de Soutien contre l’Endométriose
- Ending Endometriosis - A Documentary - YouTube