MD. Professor of Surgery, Department of Surgical Sciences, University of Parma, Italy
Tel. (office): +39-0521-702947
Professor Sandro Contini is presently working as Associate Professor of Surgery at the Department of Surgical Sciences of the University of Parma, Italy. He worked for more than one year as Research Fellow at the Liver Unit of the King's College Hospital, London and at the Department of Surgery of the New Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge (UK). He is a general, vascular and gastrointestinal surgeon.
During these last 5 years he was involved in humanitarian missions in Afghanistan and in Sierra Leone, with the Italian NGO "Emergency", whose hospitals are mainly aimed to treat civilian victims of war. Moreover, he is Scientific Coordinator of a Surgical Project in Ecuador, according to a bilateral Cooperation between the University of Parma and the University of Loja.
Currently he is a Temporary Advisor at the World Health Organization (HQ) due to his involvement in the Global Initiative for Emergency and Essential Surgical Care (GIEESC). His activity is mainly directed to implement the GIEESC project in countries as Ecuador and Afghanistan.
Moreover, he is a part of the Faculty Board of the Master "Doctors for Africa", run by the University of Parma with the support of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This Master has the teaching and training support of the Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research.
Professor Contini is author of 184 scientific articles, 76 of them published in international peer reviewed Journals.
- Contini S. Surgery in developing countries: why and how to meet surgical needs worldwide. Acta Biomed. 2007 ;78(1):4-5.
- Contini S, Lewis HRN. Spleen abscess as malaria complication. Emerg Infect Dis. 2006 Mar ;12(3):529-31.
- Contini S, McMaster P. Abdominal aortic aneurysm--the forgotten diagnosis? Postgrad Med J. 1980 Feb ;56(652):102-5.
- Sarli L, Contini S, Sansebastiano G, Gobbi S, Costi R, Roncoroni L. Does laparoscopic cholecystectomy worsen the prognosis of unsuspected gallbladder cancer? Arch Surg. 2000 Nov ;135(11):1340-4.
- Zaninotto G, Annese V, Costantini M, Del Genio A, Costantino M, Epifani M, Gatto G, D'onofrio V, Benini L, Contini S, Molena D, Battaglia G, Tardio B, Andriulli A, Ancona E. Randomized controlled trial of botulinum toxin versus laparoscopic heller myotomy for esophageal achalasia. Ann Surg. 2004 Mar ;239(3):364-70.
- Contini S. Needs and features of surgery in conflict settings. Health care in conflict: The Boundaries of Health Interventions. Amsterdam. October 22, 2008.
- Centro universitario per la cooperazione internazionale - Università degli studi di Parma
- Doctors for Africa - Master in Emergency and Essential Care (EEC) at District Hospitals in Developing Countries - University Centre for International Cooperation of the University of Parma
- Facoltà di Medicina e Chirurgia - Università degli studi di Parma
- Incontro per l'elaborazione di progetti nel campo dell'educazione e della ricerca medica - Parma 2006
- WHO - Emergency and essential surgical care