Medical Genetics Education and Research
Focusing on community genetics, genetic counseling, genetic education and consanguinity
Hanan Hamamy, Professor, Human Genetics
Dr. Hamamy is a professor of Human Genetics, affiliated with the Department of Genetic Medicine and Development at Geneva University. Dr. Hamamy has been specialist in charge of the genetic counseling clinic at the National Center for Diabetes, Endocrinology and Genetics, Amman, Jordan and consultant medical geneticist at Jordan University Hospital for the past seven years. Dr. Hamamy was professor of Human Genetics at Mustansiriyah Medical College, Baghdad, Iraq, and the specialist in charge of the counseling clinic and Cytogenetics Laboratory for over 15 years. She participated in several World Health Organization consultations and co-authored several WHO publications on community control of genetic and congenital disorders, ethical issues in medical genetics and prevention of birth defects in developing countries. She has authored and co-authored more than 75 publications in international and Arab medical Literature, with special interest in researching the relevance of consanguinity to genetic disorders in Arab countries. Dr. Hamamy had been involved in the national program for community genetic services in collaboration with the World Health Organization and Ministry of Health in Jordan. She is a member of the Council of the Center for Arab Genomic Studies (CAGS) based in Dubai, UAE. She presently joined the Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Abujbara M, Hamamy H, Jarrah N, Shegem N, Ajlouni K. Clinical and inheritance profiles of Kallmann syndrome in Jordan. Reprod Health. 2004 10;1(1):5.
- Al-Gazali L, Hamamy H, Al-Arrayad S. Genetic disorders in the Arab world. BMJ. 2006 Oct 21;333(7573):831-4.
- Al-Allawi N, Eissa AA, Jubrael JM, Jamal SA, Hamamy H. Prevalence and molecular characterization of Glucose-6-Phosphate dehydrogenase deficient variants among the Kurdish population of Northern Iraq. BMC Blood Disord. 2010 Jul 5;10(1):6.
- Hadidy AM, Al Ryalat NT, Hadidi ST, Tarawneh ES, Hadidi MT, Samara OA, Abu-Labn DM, Al-Rousan LM, Hiyasat DA, Hamamy HA. Male transient hip osteoporosis: are physicians at a higher risk? Arch Osteoporos. 2009 Dec;4(1-2):41-5.
- Hamamy H. Community genetic services in Arab countries: Middle East Journal of Medical Genetics. 2013 Jan;2(1):6-10.
- Hamamy H. Consanguineous marriages : Preconception consultation in primary health care settings. J Community Genet. 2012 Jul;3(3):185-92.
- Hamamy H. Epidemiological profile of neural tube defects in Arab countries: Middle East Journal of Medical Genetics. 2014 Jan;3(1):1-10.
- Hamamy HA, Al-Allawi NAS. Epidemiological profile of common haemoglobinopathies in Arab countries. J Community Genet. 2013 Apr;4(2):147-67.
- Hamamy H, Alwan A. Hereditary disorders in the Eastern Mediterranean Region. Bull. World Health Organ. 1994;72(1):145-54.
- Hamamy H. Oman: A model for the integration of community genetic services into primary health. The Ambassadors - SELECTED STUDIES. 2000 Jul;3(2).
- Hamamy HA, Ajlouni HK, Ajlouni KM. Familial monozygotic twinning: report of an extended multi-generation family. Twin Res. 2004 Jun;7(3):219-22.
- Hamamy H, Al-Hait S, Alwan A. Strategies for low and medium resource countries in the community care and prevention of birth defects: Jordan model. A proposal for a national strategy on the care and prevention of birth defects in Jordan. Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research. 2009 Aug 27.
- Hamamy H, Barham M, Alkhawaldeh A, Cockburn D, Snowden H, Ajlouni K. Alstrom syndrome in four sibs from northern Jordan. Ann Saudi Med. 2006 Dec;26(6):480-3.
- Sabahelzain MM, Hamamy H. The ethnic distribution of sickle cell disease in Sudan. Pan African Medical Journal. 2014;18.
- Tadmouri GO, Nair P, Obeid T, Al Ali MT, Al Khaja N, Hamamy HA. Consanguinity and reproductive health among Arabs. Reprod Health. 2009;617.
- Ten Kate LP, Al-Gazali L, Anand S, Bittles A, Cassiman J, Christianson A, Cornel MC, Hamamy H, Kääriäinen H, Kristoffersson U, Marais D, Penchaszadeh VB, Rahman P, Schmidtke J. Community genetics. Its definition 2010. J Community Genet. 2010 3;1(1):19-22.
- World Health Organization. Community genetics services: report of a WHO consultation on community genetics in low- and middle-income countries. 2011.
- Basic human genetics: reproductive health and chromosome abnormalities - Hanan Hamamy
- Community genetics - Hanan Hamamy
- Consanguineous marriages in the Middle East: Trends, impact on reproductive health and research priorities - Hanan Hamamy
- Consanguineous marriages. Trends, impact on reproductive health and research priorities - Hanan Hamamy
- Developing and evaluating genetics education in developing countries. Community genetics distance learning course - Hanan Hamamy
- Ethical issues in medical genetics and genetic services - Hanan Hamamy
- Genetic counseling - Hanan Hamamy
- Introducing community genetic services in developing countries - Hanan Hamamy
- Introduction to basic human genetics - Hanan Hamamy
- Introduction to the module of community genetics - Hanan Hamamy (PDF)
- Introduction to the module of community genetics - Hanan Hamamy (presentation with audio)
- Monozygotic twinning - Hanan Hamamy
- Multifactorial or polygenic inheritance - Hanan Hamamy
- Prenatal genetic diagnosis: Scope, applications and limitations in Arab countries - Hanan Hamamy
- Prenatal genetic screening and diagnosis - Hanan Hamamy
- Primary prevention of congenital disorders - Hanan Hamamy
- Scientific research. Writing for publication: Steps for novice writers - Hanan Hamamy
- Community genetics - Hanan Hamamy - Training Course in Sexual and Reproductive Health Research 2010
- Community genetics - Hanan Hamamy - Training Course in Sexual and Reproductive Health Research 2011
- Community genetics - Hanan Hamamy - Training Course in Sexual and Reproductive Health Research 2012
- Community genetics - Hanan Hamamy - Training Course in Sexual and Reproductive Health Research 2013
- Community genetics - Hanan Hamamy - Training Course in Sexual and Reproductive Health Research 2014
- Community genetics - Hanan Hamamy - Training Course in Sexual and Reproductive Health Research 2015
- Training course in basic genetic counseling and community genetic services for primary health care personnel and family physicians - Hanan Hamamy