Health sector response to addressing FGM: Advocacy, strategic health planning and FGM Research – overview of ethical guidance
April 12, 2023 - Geneva
- Watch the video presentation titled: Comprehensive health action plans which address FGM. Alternatively go over the slide set.
- Watch the video presentation titled: Ethical considerations in research on FGM. Alternatively go over the slide set.
- Assignment: There are two assignments for this module, MCQ and a group work.
- Complete and submit your answers to the MCQs for the module. You will receive the link to the MCQs by email.
- Complete and submit your Group paperwork assignment. You will find the assignment for this week’s module at this link:
- Female genital mutilation fact sheet. World Health Organization; 2022.
- Ethical considerations in research on female genital mutilation. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2021. Licence: CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 IGO.
- UNAIDS, UNDP, UNFPA, UNICEF, UNHCR, UNIFEM, WHO, FIGO, ICN, IOM, WCPT, WMA, MWIA. Global strategy to stop health-care providers from performing female genital mutilation. World Health Organization; 2010.
- World Health Organization. Person-centred communication for female genital mutilation prevention: a facilitator’s guide for training health-care providers. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2022.
Additional learning resources
- WHO FGM Cost Calculator. World Health Organization; 2020.
- Pallitto CC, Ahmed W. The role of the health sector in contributing to the abandonment of female genital mutilation. Med (N Y). 2021 May 14;2(5):485-489.