GFMER Coordinator for Morocco
Bouchra Assarag, MD, MPH, PhD/Public Health Science
Directrice adjointe chargée des études, National School of Public Health, Ministry of Health Morocco
President of NGO Together for Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights (EDSSR), Morocco
Dr. Bouchra Assarag is a physician with a PhD in public health from the ULB. She is expert on maternal, neonatal, child and adolescent health. She is the deputy director in charge of studies at the ENSP. She was the coordinator of the GPS sector 2016-2018 and of the MFETP-ESP sector 2018-June 2021. She is an expert on sexual and reproductive health rights and active member of national and international civil associations in the field of SRHR. She is president of the association Together for Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights (EDSSR). She has participated and coordinated several national and international studies in the field of SRHR. As a member of the teaching staff of the ENSP, she coordinated several courses in sexual and reproductive health as well as in project management and the monitoring and evaluation of public health strategies. She is the Moroccan coordinator of the sexual and reproductive health network of North and West Africa and president of the Francophone editorial committee of the Francophone Africa HUB of the journal SRHM. In collaboration with the SRH programs at the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, she participated in the development of several guides, and she is the coordinator of the training module for SSSP providers on SRH and migrant women and contributed to development of a training kit for healthcare providers on combating violence against women and children. Her research interests are themes relating to SRHR and access to quality and respectful obstetric care for mothers and newborns.
Dr. Bouchra Assarag is author, co-author and member of editorial boards in several international journals focusing on public health and the field of sexual and reproductive health. Here are some articles she published during the last two years:
- Bezad R, Omrani SE, Benbella A, Assarag B. Access to infertility care services towards Universal Health Coverage is a right and not an option. BMC Health Serv Res. 2022 Aug 25;22(1):1089. doi: 10.1186/s12913-022-08456-7. PMID: 36008812; PMCID: PMC9414098.
- Hababa H, Assarag B. Sexual life during pregnancy and after childbirth: a survey of 540 women in Morocco. Int J Adv Res. 2022 10(07), 308-315. doi:10.21474/IJAR01/15035.
- Khalis M, Tembo JMW, Elmouden L, Hatim A, Bouaddi O, Charaka H, Assarag B, El Badisy I, Lucero-Prisno Iii DE, Soliman AS, Nejjari C. Tobacco Use Among Dental Students in Morocco: Opportunities for Professional Cancer Education. J Cancer Educ. 2022 Jun 22. doi: 10.1007/s13187-022-02191-7. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35729316.
- Okafor O, Roos N, Abdosh AA, Adesina O, Alaoui Z, Romero WA, Assarag B, Aworinde O, de Bernis L, Castro R, Chrifi H, Day LT, Demissew R, Aceituno MGF, Gadama L, Gashawbeza B, Keke SG, Govule P, Gwako G, Jayaratne K, Komboigo EB, Lara B, Madziyire MG, Mathai M, Moulki R, Moutaouadia I, Munjanja S, Fletes CAO, Ortiz EI, Ouedraogo HG, Qureshi Z, Recidoro ZD, Senanayake H, Soma-Pillay P, Tin KN, Sedami P, Worku D, Bonet M; WHO Global Maternal Sepsis Study- Maternal Death and Near-miss Review Working Group. International virtual confidential reviews of infection-related maternal deaths and near-miss in 11 low- and middle-income countries - case report series and suggested actions. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2022 May 23;22(1):431. doi: 10.1186/s12884-022-04731-x. PMID: 35606709; PMCID: PMC9128080.
- Hababa H, Assarag B. Maternal morbidity: inventory feasibility and acceptability of measurement: tools at the level of Marrakech-Morocco. Int J Adv Res. 2022 10(05), 1013-1022. doi: 10.21474/IJAR01/14808.
- Chrifi H, Assarag B, Bouddalaa I, Bititi AA. Caesarean section rates at the hospital maternity: a case study in Morocco using the Robson classification system. Int J Adv Res. 2022 10(05):497-506. doi:10.21474/IJAR01/14732.
- Bouddalaa I, Elkachradi R, Assarag B, Chrifi H, Kadouri A. The challenges of hospital reform in Morocco. Int J Adv Res. 2022 10(04):733-742. doi:10.21474/IJAR01/14608.
- Singh NS, Blanchard AK, Blencowe H, Koon AD, Boerma T, Sharma S, Campbell OMR. Zooming in and out: a holistic framework for research on maternal, late foetal and newborn survival and health. Health Policy Plan. 2022 May 12;37(5):565-574. doi: 10.1093/heapol/czab148. PMID: 34888635; PMCID: PMC9113153.
- Lardi M, Assarag B, Mouniri M, Belouali R, Afifi M, Njah M, Bawadi H, Sahbani S. Implementing maternal death surveillance and response system: lessons learned from the Arab states region. Acta Scientific Medical Sciences. 2021 5.12 166-178. doi: 10.31080/ASMS.2021.05.1109.
- Brizuela V, Cuesta C, Bartolelli G, Abdosh AA, Abou Malham S, Assarag B, Castro Banegas R, Díaz V, El-Kak F, El Sheikh M, Pérez AM, Souza JP, Bonet M, Abalos E; WHO GLOSS Research Group. Availability of facility resources and services and infection-related maternal outcomes in the WHO Global Maternal Sepsis Study: a cross-sectional study. Lancet Glob Health. 2021 Sep;9(9):e1252-e1261. doi: 10.1016/S2214-109X(21)00248-5. Epub 2021 Jul 21. PMID: 34273300; PMCID: PMC8370881.
- Baguiya A, Bonet M, Cecatti JG, Brizuela V, Curteanu A, Minkauskiene M, Jayaratne K, Ribeiro-do-Valle CC, Budianu MA, Souza JP, Kouanda S; WHO Global Maternal Sepsis Study (GLOSS) Research Group; GLOSS research group. Perinatal outcomes among births to women with infection during pregnancy. Arch Dis Child. 2021 Oct;106(10):946-953. doi: 10.1136/archdischild-2021-321865. Epub 2021 Sep 2. PMID: 34475107; PMCID: PMC8461398.
- Requena-Méndez A, Wickramage K, Ito C, Assarag B, Hilali M, Deal A, Arias S, Zenner D, Chemao-Elfihri W, Hargreaves S; Migrant Health MENA Working Group. Understanding health inequities among transiting migrants within the Middle East and North African (MENA) region through strengthening data systems. Travel Med Infect Dis. 2021 Jul-Aug;42:102094. doi: 10.1016/j.tmaid.2021.102094. Epub 2021 May 28. PMID: 34058383.
- Assarag B, Sanae EO, Rachid B. Priorities for sexual and reproductive health in Morocco as part of universal health coverage: maternal health as a national priority. Sex Reprod Health Matters. 2020 Dec;28(2):1845426. doi: 10.1080/26410397.2020.1845426. PMID: 33213263; PMCID: PMC7887989.
- Bouchra Assarag - Together for Sexual and Reproductive Health, Morocco
- Training course in adolescent sexual and reproductive health 2022 - Tutors by country of residence of the participants