Training Course in Sexual and Reproductive Health Research 2012
Adolescent sexual and reproductive health
Module coordinator: Venkatraman Chandra-Mouli
Objectives of the course
As a result of undertaking the course, participants will know:
- Why they need to invest in the health and development of adolescents (including their sexual and reproductive health).
- What they could do to improve the health and development of adolescents and how to do this.
- Where they could get support to do this.
Topics to be covered in the course
- The meaning of adolescence, the rationale for addressing adolescents, the needs and problems of adolescents, and frameworks for addressing the health and development of adolescents.
- Sexuality education to adolescents.
- Sexual and reproductive health service provision to adolescents.
- Early and unwanted pregnancy and pregnancy care in adolescents.
- HIV/STI prevention and care in adolescents.
- Unsafe abortion prevention and post abortion care in adolescents.
Teaching-learning methods to be used in course
The schedule for the topics is as follows:
- The meaning of adolescence (3 September).
- Sexuality education to adolescents (10 September).
- Sexual and reproductive health service provision to adolescents (17 September).
- Early and unwanted pregnancy and pregnancy care in adolescents (24 September).
- HIV/STI prevention and care in adolescents (1 October).
- Unsafe abortion prevention and post abortion care in adolescents (8 October).
On each of the topic, we will post the following items:
- A set of 15-20 slides with accompanying talking points.
- A selection of relevant documents.
- An accompanying note with recommendations on 1-2 documents to read and one assignment task.
What is required of you
For each module:
- Please go through the slides and talking points.
- Please read the 1-2 documents that we recommend in the accompanying note.
- For each of the six modules you will get one task. Each task will should not take more than 45 minutes of your time. Please do the task after you have gone through the slide set.
For all the modules:
- If you have questions to pose or points to make, please send us a email message. We will respond to every message we receive.
Certificates and awards
All participants who send in completed assignments (i.e. with responses to all six questions) by the end of October 2012, will receive a certificate of completion. The top ten participants will receive an additional certificate of commendation. The top five participants will get a set of books on writing and presenting effectively.
The course will be conducted by staff from WHO's departments of Reproductive Health and Research and Maternal Newborn Child and Adolescent Health.
It will be coordinated by:
Dr V. Chandra-Mouli
Scientist – Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health
Department of Reproductive Health and Research
World Health Organization
20 Avenue Appia,1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland
+41 22 791 4814
- Adolescent sexual and reproductive health - Course files
- Adolescent sexual and reproductive health - WHO documents