GFMER Coordinator for Iran
Shayesteh Hajizadeh, Master of Midwifery, MPH and PhD Student in Reproductive Health
Department of Maternal and Child Health, Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery, Tehran University of Medical Science, Tehran, Iran
Tel: +98 (21) 66937120 - 66927171
Fax: +98 (21) 66904252
My name is Shayesteh Hajizadeh and I’m Master of Midwifery, MPH and Student of PhD in Reproductive Health. I’m working in maternal and child health department, faculty of midwifery and nursing, Tehran University of medical sciences, Tehran, Iran. I have conducted several activities in fields of sexual and reproductive health training, research, management and clinical care.
I attended the Training Course in Sexual and Reproductive Health Research Geneva 2011 by GFMER; this training course gave me perspective as how to approach local problems in Reproductive health.
Reproductive Health Group in Iran involves PhD students in Reproductive Health, lecturers and specialists in midwifery, Maternal and Child Health as well as general practitioners. Group has more than 70 members and it is expanding. They are the future leaders of reproductive health in Iran. This is a chance for Iranian PhD students in Reproductive Health and other fields to attend Training Course in Sexual and Reproductive Health Research.
- PhD student in Reproductive Health - Nursing and Midwifery of Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences.
- MPH, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, 2011.
- Master of midwifery in Maternal and Child Health, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, 2003.
- Bachelor of Midwifery, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, 1994.
The executive roles
- Training Instructor, Department of Maternal and child Health, School of midwifery and nursing, Tehran University of medical sciences 2011 to present.
- Expert in charge of maternal, the elderly and middle-aged health programs, Iran University of Medical Sciences; member of Health Affairs Committee to investigate the causes of maternal death from 2008 to 2011.
- Expert in charge of Behvarzi training(Primary health workers), Iran University of Medical Sciences, provincial coordinator of national health workers chronicle, from 2003 to 2008.
- Trainer in center of Training of Behvarz (Primary Health worker) in field of maternal care and familyplaning in Health center of shahriar, Iran University of Medical Sciences, from 1996 to 2003.
- Employe in rural health center in Shahriar as midwife in field of maternal care and familyplaning, Iran University of Medical Sciences, from 1994 to 1996.
- Rapid Assessment of SRH and HIV linkage in Islamic Republic of Iran project, 2011. This project was proposed and financially supported by Family Planning Association/IRI in 2011, coauthor.
- Reproductive Health needs of People who lived with HIV (PLWH) referred to Triangular clinics of Universities of Medical Science in Tehran: Tehran University of Medical Sciences; 2011, thesis for MPH.
- Reviewing and summarizing of scientific evidence on the benefits and consequences of family planning on maternal health, child health, fathers and family health project, 2012-2011, This project was proposed by Health Deputy of Tehran university of Medical science and financially supported by Knowledge Utilization Research Center (KURC), Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran, main Executive.
- Evaluation of the factors affecting the choice of delivery method based on viewpoints of clinical managers and staffs, and proposing a strategic plan to reduce cesarean, health deputy of Iran university of medical sciences, presented in national family health congress, 2008, main Executive.
- Assessing the Knowledge of midwives working in health deputy of Iran University of Medical Sciences in the field of sexual issues, 2007, main Executive.
- The relationship between leadership method and job incentives among personnel of health deputy of Iran University of Medical Sciences, 2004, main Executive.
- Assessment of structural standards in health houses, 2004, main Executive.
- Evaluation of the expanded program immunization for mothers and children under 2 years, Shahryar district, Tehran University of Medical Sciences; 2003, thesis for Master of Midwifery.
- Job satisfaction among health workers employed in health deputy of Iran University of Medical Sciences, 2003, main Executive.
- Assessment of the quality of lessons presented on health workers training classes, health deputy of Iran University of Medical Sciences, 2003, main Executive.
Country situation of sexual and reproductive health
A review of maternal health care in the context of reproductive health in I. R. Iran reveals the following challenges:
- Making linkage between HIV programs and reproductive health in policy-making.
- Producing sufficient information on the side effects resulting from pregnancy and delivery for both mothers and babies.
- Improving the quality of service provided by midwives.
- Enhancing the quality of reproductive health including family planning services, and ensuring reproductive health commodity security.
- Creating a comprehensive national system for the prevention of maternal deaths.
- Establishing an appropriate monitoring system for maternal care programmes.
- Increasing awareness among adolescents about the reproductive health issues, including unwanted pregnancies during the early period of their married life.
- Providing appropriate counselling and userfriendly RH services for youth and adolescents.
- Bridging data and information gaps on certain notions of reproductive health such as breast and cervical cancer as well as abortion.
GFMER past activities in the country
Khodakarami Nahid, who attended GFMER training in the past, and I did attend the online course in 2011. Organizing this training for 2012 is going to be our first joint activity with GFMER.
- Ministry of Health and Medical Education, Iran
- UNFPA in Iran
- UNAIDS - Islamic Republic of Iran
- Vali e asr Reproductive Health Research Center
- IRCHA - Iranian Research Center for HIV/AIDS
- Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery,Tehran University of Medical Sciences