Training Course in Sexual and Reproductive Health Research 2013
Maternal and perinatal health
Module coordinators: Mario Merialdi, Charles-Henry Rochat
The objective of this module is to provide up-to-date information on maternal and perinatal health issues in order to improve the skills and knowledge of health professionals in this field.
The module also aims to strengthen the research capacity of health professionals, enabling them to provide maternal and perinatal health care that meets international standards.
The topics to be covered in this module:
- Measuring maternal mortality
- Maternal near miss
- Access to reproductive health care, global significance and conceptual challenges
- The role of primary care in enhancing sexual and reproductive health
- Standards for maternal and neonatal care
- Unintended pregnancy: towards understanding the issues and addressing the need gaps
- Obstetric fistula
- The evidence-based management of pre-eclampsia and eclampsia
- The evidence-based management of postpartum haemorrhage
Within this module the participants have access to various WHO guidelines and reference documents covering a wide range of topics on maternal and perinatal health (see Maternal and perinatal health - Course files and Maternal and perinatal health - WHO documents).
The assignment for this module consists of two parts.
In the first part the participants are required to provide information on the overall situation in their countries in terms of maternal and perinatal health. The analysis should include information about the major problems, challenges and current services. In the second part of the assignment, participants provide in-depth information on one of the topics covered in this module (for example obstetric fistula).
In the second part of their assignment, they provide in-depth information on one of the topics covered in this module (e.g. obstetric fistula).
The assignment should be based on literature search and personal experiences of the participant and should reflect the situation of his/her country. It should not exceed 10 pages.
For more details, see Maternal and perinatal health assignment.
Multiple choice questions
At the end of this module participants are required to answer multiple-choice questions. In order to provide the correct answers, participants need to study the presentations documents part of the module.
In order to validate this module the participants are required to submit their assignments and answer to multiple choice questions.
- Maternal and perinatal health - Course files
- Maternal and perinatal health - WHO documents
- Maternal and perinatal health assignment