Central Hospital, Warri, Delta State, Nigeria
Kingsley Agholor, Obstetrician and Gynaecologist, MBBS, FWACS, FMCOG
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist and Medical Director, Central Hospital, Warri, Delta State, Nigeria
Adjunct Lecturer in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Delta State University, Abraka, Nigeria
Société coopérative médicale de Beaulieu scholarship
Dr Kingsley Agholor is an obstetrician and gynaecologist; a fellow of the West African College of Surgeons and the Nigerian Postgraduate Medical College in Obstetrics and Gynaecology. Dr Agholor was employed as a consultant obstetrician and gynaecologist with the Delta State Hospitals Management Board (HMB) in November 2010 and is attached to the Central Hospital, Warri, where he works as a clinician in a hospital that has a delivery rate averaging four thousand deliveries per annum. He was elected medical director of this hospital on the 1st of January 2013. Before then, Dr Agholor had served as acting head of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology for a period of six months (from June 2011 to December 2011) at the Central Hospital, Agbor, where he was posted for relief duty. He had also served as the focal person for the Prevention of Mother to Child Transmission (PMTCT) of HIV/AIDS at the Central Hospital, Warri, before being appointed the head of department of the Anti-Retroviral Therapy (ART) Centre in that hospital. Dr Agholor was nominated for the Delta State Technical Working Group on HIV/AIDS Treatment, Care and Support in July 2012.
Dr Agholor is an adjunct lecturer in Obstetrics and Gynaecology with the Delta State University, Abraka. He also trains resident doctors specializing in Obstetrics and Gynaecology at the Central Hospital, Warri - a Centre accredited by the West African College of Surgeons and the National Post Graduate Medical College of Nigeria for residency training in Obstetrics and Gynaecology.
Dr Agholor became a research associate with the Women’s Health and Action Research Centre (WHARC), a leading non-governmental organization based in Benin City, Nigeria, in 2005 and has functioned actively as a key associate of the Centre, participating in its research and programmatic activities since then. He participated in the field work for many research projects of the Centre, and also co-authored several peer-reviewed articles published by the Centre.
He is a reviewer for a number of local and international journals and has published more than twenty original research articles with international conference presentations in the field of maternal and reproductive health. He was the principal investigator in the award-winning research study titled "Pattern of chlamydial serology in patients receiving infertility treatment with In Vitro Fertilization in Benin City”, published in the Abstracts of papers presented at the annual Scientific Conference of the Society of Gynaecology and Obstetrics of Nigeria (SOGON) in volume 29, Supplement 1 of the Tropical Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, the official publication of SOGON. The paper won the prestigious Majekodunmi Prize of SOGON for the best paper presented by a young scientist at the SOGON Conference held in Abakaliki, Nigeria.
Dr Agholor is a highly motivated individual who is very well versed in both written and spoken English. He loves football, reading and networking. He is married with two children.
Publications in journals
- Ogu R, Okonofua F, Hammed A, Okpokunu E, Mairiga A, Bako A, Abass T, Garba D, Alani A, Agholor K. Outcome of an intervention to improve the quality of private sector provision of postabortion care in northern Nigeria. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2012 Sep;118 Suppl 2S121–126.
- Agholor K, Omo-Aghoja L, Okonofua F. Rate of negative appendectomy in pregnant women in Benin City, Nigeria. J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2011 Nov;37(11):1540–8.
- Olagbuji BN, Ezeanochie MC, Agholor KN, Olagbuji YW, Ande AB, Okonofua FE. Spousal disclosure of HIV serostatus among women attending antenatal care in urban Nigeria. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2011 Aug;31(6):486–8.
- Okonofua F, Lambo E, Okeibunor J, Agholor K. Advocacy for free maternal and child health care in Nigeria--Results and outcomes. Health Policy. 2011 Feb;99(2):131–8.
- Okonofua F, Omo-Aghoja L, Bello Z, Osughe M, Agholor K. Self-reporting of induced abortion by women attending prenatal clinics in urban Nigeria. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2010 Nov;111(2):122–5.
- Ezeanochie MC, Olagbuji BN, Agholor KN, Okonofua FE. Attaining MDG 5 in northern Nigeria: need to focus on skilled birth attendance. Afr J Reprod Health. 2010 Jun;14(2):9–15.
- Gharoro EP, Agholor KN. Aspects of psychosocial problems of patients with vesico-vaginal fistula. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2009 Oct;29(7):644–7.