Abdulkarim Garba Mairiga
University of Maiduguri, Nigeria
Abdulkarim Garba Mairiga, MBBS, MHPM, FWACS, Cert UMRH
Senior Lecturer, University of Maiduguri, Maiduguri, Nigeria
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist, University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital, Maiduguri, Nigeria
Dr A. G. Mairiga graduated with a bachelor’s degree in Medicine and Surgery from the University of Jos, Nigeria, in 1989. In 1999, he obtained a master’s degree in Health Planning and Management from the University of Maiduguri, Nigeria. He received his fellowship diploma of the West African College of Surgeons in 2002, and obtained a certificate in Understanding and Managing Reproductive Health form the Institute of Social Sciences, The Hague, the Netherlands, in 2003.
Dr Mairiga is an external examiner in Obstetrics and Gynaecology at Bayero University, Kano, and Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, and a visiting consultant at Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University Teaching Hospital, Bauchi, Nigeria. He was the head of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Maiduguri and a member of the Board of Management, University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital. Dr Mairiga is currently working as a senior lecturer at the University of Maiduguri, and as an honorary consultant obstetrician and gynaecologist at the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital.
Publications in journals
- Kawuwa MB, Mairiga AG, Usman HA. Maternal mortality: barriers to care at the health facility--health workers perspective. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2006 Aug;26(6):544-5.
- Obed JY, Agida ET, Mairiga AG. Survival of infants and children born to women who died from pregnancy and labour related complications. Niger J Clin Pract. 2007 Mar;10(1):35-40.
- Mairiga AG, Kyari O, Kullima A, Abdullahi H. Knowledge, perceptions and attitudes of Islamic scholars towards reproductive health programs in Borno State, Nigeria. Afr J Reprod Health. 2007 Apr;11(1):98-106.
- Mairiga AG, Kyari O, Audu B, Lawuwa BM. Socio-clinical characteristics of modern contraceptives users at the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital. Niger J Clin Pract. 2007 Jun;10(2):152-5.
- Kawuwa MB, Mairiga AG, Usman HA. Community perspective of maternal mortality: experience from Konduga Local Government Area, Borno State, Nigeria. Ann Afr Med. 2007 Sep;6(3):109-14.
- Mairiga AG, Kawuwa MB, Kullima A. Community perception of maternal mortality in northeastern Nigeria. Afr J Reprod Health. 2008 Dec;12(3):27-34.
- Mairiga AG, Saleh W. Maternal mortality at the State Specialist Hospital Bauchi, Northern Nigeria. East Afr Med J. 2009 Jan;86(1):25-30.
- Mairiga AG, Kullima AA, Bako B, Kolo MA. Sociocultural factors influencing decision-making related to fertility among the Kanuri tribe of north-eastern Nigeria. Afr J Prim Health Care Fam Med. 2010 May 7;2(1):4.
- Mairiga AG, Kullima AA, Kawuwa MB. Social and health reasons for lime juice vaginal douching among female sex workers in Borno State, Nigeria. Afr J Prim Health Care Fam Med. 2010 May 21;2(1):4 pages.
- Chama C, Mairiga A, Geidam A, Bako B. An Assessment of Policies and programs for reducing Maternal Mortality in Borno State, Nigeria. Afr J Rep H. 2010;14(3):49-54.
- Mairiga AG, Balla HJ. Prevalence of trichomonas vaginalis infections among antenatal clients in maiduguri nigeria. Int J Bio Med Res. 2011;2(4): 998-1002.
- Mairiga AG, Geidam AD, Bako B, Ibrahim A. Nigerian lawyers and reproductive health rights: a survey of knowledge, practices and opinions on law reforms among the bar and bench in north eastern Nigeria. Afr J Reprod Health. 2012 Mar;16(1):69-74.