Maria Laura Ribeiro
Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científicas y Técnicas, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Maria Laura Ribeiro, Biologist, PhD
Young Investigator from the Argentinean National Research Council (CONICET)
Head of the Laboratory of Physiology and Pharmacology of Reproduction
I was born on 24th April 1974 in Buenos Aires, Argentina. I graduated from the School of Science (University of Buenos Aires) in 1999 with a 6-year biologist career equivalent to a Bachelor in Biology and Masters in Molecular Biology and Biotechnology. Since then I became a doctoral student from the Argentinean Research Council (CONICET) and in 2003 I obtained my PhD from the University of Buenos Aires. As a post doc student I began to study the interaction of lipid molecules in the process of embryo implantation. Currently, as a Young Investigator (2005 – actual) I am the head of the Laboratory of Physiology and Pharmacology of Reproduction at the Center for Pharmacological and Botanical Studies (CEFYBO). CEFYBO is a government institution that depends on the Argentinean Research Council and the School of Medicine from the University of Buenos Aires. Also, I am part of the Faculty Council from the Argentinean Clinic Research Society (SAIC), a prestigious society in Argentina dedicated to basic and clinical investigations. Finally, my best appointments: I am married to Ezequiel, I have one beautiful daughter and my second child will be born in July 2013!
Publications in journals
- Sordelli MS, Beltrame JS, Cella M, Franchi AM, Ribeiro ML. Cyclooxygenase-2 prostaglandins mediate anandamide-inhibitory action on nitric oxide synthase activity in the receptive rat uterus. Eur J Pharmacol. 2012 Jun 15;685(1-3):174–9.
- Sordelli MS, Beltrame JS, Cella M, Gervasi MG, Perez Martinez S, Burdet J, Zotta E, Franchi AM, Ribeiro ML. Interaction between lysophosphatidic acid, prostaglandins and the endocannabinoid system during the window of implantation in the rat uterus. PLoS ONE. 2012;7(9):e46059.
- Osycka-Salut C, Gervasi MG, Pereyra E, Cella M, Ribeiro ML, Franchi AM, Perez-Martinez S. Anandamide induces sperm release from oviductal epithelia through nitric oxide pathway in bovines. PLoS ONE. 2012;7(2):e30671.
- Sordelli MS, Beltrame JS, Burdet J, Zotta E, Pardo R, Cella M, Franchi AM, Ribeiro ML. The effect of anandamide on uterine nitric oxide synthase activity depends on the presence of the blastocyst. PLoS ONE. 2011;6(4):e18368.
- Cella M, Farina MG, Dominguez Rubio AP, Di Girolamo G, Ribeiro ML, Franchi AM. Dual effect of nitric oxide on uterine prostaglandin synthesis in a murine model of preterm labour. Br J Pharmacol. 2010 Oct;161(4):844–55.
- Español AJ, Goren N, Ribeiro ML, Sales ME. Nitric oxide synthase 1 and cyclooxygenase-2 enzymes are targets of muscarinic activation in normal and inflamed NIH3T3 cells. Inflamm Res. 2010 Mar;59(3):227–38.
- Aisemberg J, Vercelli C, Wolfson M, Salazar AI, Osycka-Salut C, Billi S, Ribeiro ML, Farina M, Franchi AM. Inflammatory agents involved in septic miscarriage. Neuroimmunomodulation. 2010;17(3):150–2.
- Vercelli CA, Aisemberg J, Billi S, Cervini M, Ribeiro ML, Farina M, Franchi AM. Anandamide regulates lipopolysaccharide-induced nitric oxide synthesis and tissue damage in the murine uterus. Reprod Biomed Online. 2009 Jun;18(6):824–31.
- Gervasi MG, Rapanelli M, Ribeiro ML, Farina M, Billi S, Franchi AM, Perez Martinez S. The endocannabinoid system in bull sperm and bovine oviductal epithelium: role of anandamide in sperm-oviduct interaction. Reproduction. 2009 Mar;137(3):403–14.
- Ribeiro ML, Vercelli CA, Sordelli MS, Farina MG, Cervini M, Billi S, Franchi AM. 17beta-oestradiol and progesterone regulate anandamide synthesis in the rat uterus. Reprod Biomed Online. 2009 Feb;18(2):209–18.
- Cella M, Leguizamón GF, Sordelli MS, Cervini M, Guadagnoli T, Ribeiro ML, Franchi AM, Farina MG. Dual effect of anandamide on rat placenta nitric oxide synthesis. Placenta. 2008 Aug;29(8):699–707.
- De la Torre E, Genaro AM, Ribeiro ML, Pagotto R, Pignataro OP, Sales ME. Proliferative actions of muscarinic receptors expressed in macrophages derived from normal and tumor bearing mice. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2008 Feb;1782(2):82–9.
- Farina MG, Billi S, Leguizamón G, Weissmann C, Guadagnoli T, Ribeiro ML, Franchi AM. Secretory and cytosolic phospholipase A2 activities and expression are regulated by oxytocin and estradiol during labor. Reproduction. 2007 Aug;134(2):355–64.
- Aisemberg J, Vercelli C, Billi S, Ribeiro ML, Ogando D, Meiss R, McCann SM, Rettori V, Franchi AM. Nitric oxide mediates prostaglandins’ deleterious effect on lipopolysaccharide-triggered murine fetal resorption. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2007 May 1;104(18):7534–9.
- Peroni RN, Orliac ML, Abramoff T, Ribeiro ML, Franchi AM, Adler-Graschinsky E. Participation of CGRP and prostanoids in the sex-linked differences of vascular anandamide effects in mesenteric beds of Sprague-Dawley rats. Eur J Pharmacol. 2007 Feb 14;557(1):49–57.
- Pérez Martínez S, Hermoso M, Farina M, Ribeiro ML, Rapanelli M, Espinosa M, Villalón M, Franchi A. 17-beta-Estradiol upregulates COX-2 in the rat oviduct. Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat. 2006 Sep;80(3-4):155–64.
- Farina MG, Billi S, Sordelli MS, Ribeiro ML, Di Girolamo G, Lombardi E, Franchi AM. Nitric oxide (NO) inhibits prostaglandin E2 9-ketoreductase (9-KPR) activity in human fetal membranes. Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat. 2006 May;79(3-4):260–70.
- Cella M, Aisemberg J, Sordelli MS, Billi S, Farina M, Franchi AM, Ribeiro ML. Prostaglandins modulate nitric oxide synthase activity early in time in the uterus of estrogenized rat challenged with lipopolysaccharide. Eur J Pharmacol. 2006 Mar 18;534(1-3):218–26.
- Ribeiro ML, Farina M, Billi S, Pérez Martínez S, Brañes MC, Villalón M, Franchi A. Effect of in vivo administration of epidermal growth factor on prostaglandin production and NOS activity in term rat placentae. Possible participation of placental EGF receptors. Placenta. 2005 Nov;26(10):758–65.
- Ribeiro ML, Aisemberg J, Billi S, Farina MG, Meiss R, McCann S, Rettori V, Villalón M, Franchi AM. Epidermal growth factor prevents prepartum luteolysis in the rat. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2005 May 31;102(22):8048–53.
- Farina M, Ribeiro ML, Weissmann C, Estevez A, Billi S, Vercelli C, Franchi A. Biosynthesis and catabolism of prostaglandin F2alpha (PGF2alpha) are controlled by progesterone in the rat uterus during pregnancy. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2004 Aug;91(4-5):211–8.
- Ribeiro ML, Ogando D, Farina M, Franchi A. Epidermal growth factor modulation of prostaglandins and nitrite biosynthesis in rat fetal membranes. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2004 Jan;70(1):33–40.
- Ogando D, Cella M, Ribeiro ML, Weissmann C, Aisemberg J, Franchi A. IL-10 inhibits nitric oxide synthesis in murine uterus. Neuroimmunomodulation. 2004;11(2):127–32.
- Davel LE, Rimmaudo L, Español A, de la Torre E, Jasnis MA, Ribeiro ML, Gotoh T, de Lustig ES, Sales ME. Different mechanisms lead to the angiogenic process induced by three adenocarcinoma cell lines. Angiogenesis. 2004;7(1):45–51.
- Ribeiro ML, Farina M, Aisemberg J, Franchi A. Effects of in vivo administration of epidermal growth factor (EGF) on uterine contractility, prostaglandin production and timing of parturition in rats. Reproduction. 2003 Oct;126(4):459–68.
- Ribeiro ML, Cella M, Farina M, Franchi A. Crosstalk between nitric oxide synthase and cyclooxygenase metabolites in the estrogenized rat uterus. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2003 Apr;68(4):285–90.
- Ogando D, Farina M, Ribeiro ML, Perez Martinez S, Cella M, Rettori V, Franchi A. Steroid hormones augment nitric oxide synthase activity and expression in rat uterus. Reprod Fertil Dev. 2003;15(5):269–74.
- Motta AB, Estevez A, Franchi A, Perez-Martinez S, Farina M, Ribeiro ML, Lasserre A, Gimeno MF. Regulation of lipid peroxidation by nitric oxide and PGF2alpha during luteal regression in rats. Reproduction. 2001 Apr;121(4):631–7.
- Farina M, Ribeiro ML, Franchi A. Nitric oxide synthases in pregnant rat uterus. Reproduction. 2001 Mar;121(3):403–7.
- Perez Martinez S, Farina M, Ogando D, Ribeiro ML, Gimeno M, Franchi AM. Nitric oxide inhibits prostanoid synthesis in the rat oviduct. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2000 Apr;62(4):239–42.
- Farina M, Ribeiro ML, Ogando D, Gimeno M, Franchi AM. IL1alpha augments prostaglandin synthesis in pregnant rat uteri by a nitric oxide mediated mechanism. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2000 Apr;62(4):243–7.
- Ribeiro ML, Perez Martinez S, Farina M, Ogando D, Gimeno M, Franchi A. The effect of epidermal growth factor on prostaglandin synthesis of oestrogenized rat uterus is mediated by nitric oxide. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 1999 Dec;61(6):353–8.