Home - GFMER Country Coordinators
Mahmoud Ahmed Mahmoud Abdel-Aleem
GFMER Coordinator for Egypt
Mahmoud Ahmed Mahmoud Abdel-Aleem, MD, Obstetrician/Gynecologist
Assistant Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Women Health Centre, Assiut University, Egypt
I’m Dr Mahmoud Ahmed Mahmoud Abdel-Aleem, working currently as an Assistant professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Women health centre, Assiut University. This centre serves both as a primary and referral centre for many patients in Upper Egypt. As in most developing countries, I have many responsibilities and duties. I have educational, clinical, research and surgical roles in my centre. As regards educational roles, I’m a tutor for undergraduate students and a lecturer for postgraduate students who will be specialists in the field of obstetrics and gynecology. I’m a clinician concerned with safe reproductive health and high risk pregnancy management. From the research point, I’m indulged in many aspects of research concerned mainly with maternal health, endometriosis and obstetric Ultrasonography. Also, I have participated in some Cochrane systematic reviews. I was lucky enough at the start of my career to attend the respectable and comprehensive course around research methodology held in 2003 by GFMER. That course added much to my knowledge and allowed me to have sound clinical and research roles at my centre.
Publications in journals
- Abdel-Aleem H, Abdel-Aleem MA, Shaaban OM. Tocolysis for management of retained placenta. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011;(1):CD007708.
- Abdel-Aleem H, Merialdi M, Elsnosy ED, Elsedfy GO, Abdel-Aleem MA, Villar J. The effect of calcium supplementation during pregnancy on fetal and infant growth: a nested randomized controlled trial within WHO calcium supplementation trial. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2009 Feb;22(2):94–100.
- Abdel-Aleem H, Shaaban OM, Abdel-Aleem MA. Cervical pessary for preventing preterm birth. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010;(9):CD007873.
- Abdel-Aleem H, Shaaban OM, Abdel-Aleem MA, Fetih GN. Doxycycline in the treatment of bleeding with DMPA: a double-blinded randomized controlled trial. Contraception. 2012 Feb 9.
- Abdel-Aleem H, Singata M, Abdel-Aleem M, Mshweshwe N, Williams X, Hofmeyr GJ. Uterine massage to reduce postpartum hemorrhage after vaginal delivery. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2010 Oct;111(1):32–6.
- Abdel-Aleem M, Osman A, Morsy K. Effect of coadministration of dexamethasone with intrathecal morphine on postoperative outcomes after cesarean delivery. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2012 Feb;116(2):158–61.
- Bedaiwy MA, Abdel-Aleem MA, Miketa A, Falcone T. Endometriosis: a critical appraisal of the advances and the controversies of a challenging health problem. Minerva Ginecol. 2009 Aug;61(4):285–98.
- Bedaiwy MA, Abdelaleem MA, Hussein M, Mousa N, Brunengraber LN, Casper RF. Hormonal, follicular and endometrial dynamics in letrozole-treated versus natural cycles in patients undergoing controlled ovarian stimulation. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2011;983. Available from: http://www.rbej.com/content/9/1/83
- Bedaiwy MA, Noriega J, Abdel Aleem M, Gupta S, AbulHassan AM, Brainard J, Ismail AM, Falcone T. Evaluation of peritoneal fluid hemosiderin-laden macrophages in biopsy-proven endometriosis. Anal Quant Cytol Histol. 2012 Feb;34(1):23–7.
- Darwish AM, Amin AF, AbdelAleem MA, Youssef MA. Laparoscopic management of benign adnexal masses: experience in a developing country. Gynaecological Endoscopy. 2001;10(3):159–65.
- El Saman AM, Abdel-Aleem M, Habibe DM, Aboelhasan AM. Failed vaginoplasty: a successful novel blend of minimally invasive approaches. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2012 Jan;160(1):84–7.
- El Saman AM, Shahin AY, Nasr A, Tawfik RM, Saadeldeen HS, Othman ER, Habib DM, Abdel-Aleem MA. Hybrid septate uterus, coexistence of bicornuate and septate varieties: A genuine report. J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2012 May 21.
- Hofmeyr GJ, Abdel-Aleem H, Abdel-Aleem MA. Uterine massage for preventing postpartum haemorrhage. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2008;(3):CD006431.
- Widmer M, Blum J, Hofmeyr GJ, Carroli G, Abdel-Aleem H, Lumbiganon P, Nguyen TNN, Wojdyla D, Thinkhamrop J, Singata M, Mignini LE, Abdel-Aleem MA, Tran ST, Winikoff B. Misoprostol as an adjunct to standard uterotonics for treatment of post-partum haemorrhage: a multicentre, double-blind randomised trial. Lancet. 2010 May 22;375(9728):1808–13.
Country situation of sexual and reproductive health
See El-Zanaty, Fatma and Ann Way. 2009. Egypt Demographic and Health Survey 2008. Cairo, Egypt: Ministry of Health, El-Zanaty and Associates, and Macro International.
GFMER past activities in Egypt and Egyptian GFMER members
Training of many Egyptian health professionals. The following are Egyptian members of GFMER:
- Akmal Nabil Ahmad El-Mazny - Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, Cairo University, Egypt
- Amal Abd El Hafez - Lecturer of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Mansoura University, Egypt
- Amir Monir Ali - Director of the E-learning Unit, Mansoura School of Medicine, Mansoura University, Egypt
- Amr Awad - UNAIDS Middle East and North Africa Regional Office, Egypt
- Ashraf Ahmed ElDaly - Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Cairo University, Egypt
- Ayman Fahim - Faculty of Medicine, Suez Canal University, Ismailia, Egypt
- Diaa M. El-Mowafi - Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Benha Faculty of Medicine, Zagagig University
- Fayek Salah Elkhwsky - Medical Research Institute, Alexandria University, Egypt
- Hany Faheem - Faculty of Medicine, Suez Canal University, Egypt
- Hisham Hussein Imam - Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Minia University, Egypt
- Hossam ElDeen ElShenoufy - Assistant lecturer, Obstetrics and Gynecology Department, Kasr ElAini Hospital, Cairo University, Egypt
- Howieda Ahmed Abdel-Mohimen Fouly - Faculty of Nursing, Assiut University, Egypt
- Khaled Abdul Moneim Gadalla - Department of Urology, Al-Azhar Faculty of Medicine for Girls, Alzahraa University Hospital, Cairo, Egypt
- Nadine Alaa Sherif - Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Cairo University, Egypt
- Ola Mousa - Faculty of Nursing, Minia University, Egypt
Future plans or initiatives
- Enrollment of more candidates for different courses provided by GFMER.
- Construction of a local network in Egypt devoted to GFMER in implementing the research and education in our locality.